200 gm flour
50 gm unsalted butter
50 gm lard
75 gm castor sugar
30 ml milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp mixed spice
1 pc egg
50 gm currants
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and mixed spice together.
- Rub in the lard and butter.
- Add the sugar and currants.
- Add the egg and sufficient milk to form into a firm paste
- Roll out on a floured board to a thickness of 1cm and cut into rounds
- Cook on a greased griddle or a heavy based frying pan for about 3 minutes on each side or until a golden brown
- Cool and sprinkle with sugar if desired
I like to eat my Welsh Cakes still warm with a thick spread of butter!