As diverse as the Philippine archipelago itself, Pochero can be cooked in different ways.
It can be cooked with cabbages, pechay, banana, chicken, beef, chorizo de bilbao, Chinese Longganisa, Gabi, potatoes, or sweet potatoes.
However, in its very essence, Pochero is a tomato-based dish. In this incarnation, we will be having beef pochero recipe.
This Beef Pochero recipe is basically a tomato-based stew with chorizo, potato, banana, and chick peas.
As you might have already noticed in the ingredients, this dish is very much Spanish-influenced in that you have the tomato sauce and a plethora of different ingredients.
It is believed that the Spaniards brought Pochero to the lands they have colonized and the colonies started owning the dish by creating versions that are representative of the ingredients available in their countries.
In this post we'll cover:
Beef Pochero Recipe and Preparation Tips
Beef Pochero here in the Philippines is usually made of beef, tomato sauce, chickpeas, banana, and potato.
It is stewed and simmered for a long time to make the beef soft and then the other ingredients are added.
Beef Pochero recipe takes a much longer preparation time in that you need to make the beef soft first.
In this, you would need to either simmer the meat for 2 hours or you would have to cook the dish in a pressure cooker.
If possible, always reach for the pressure cooker to save you time.
In terms of ingredients, the tomato-sauce gives this Beef Pochero recipe it’s tasty and decadent taste, the bananas (saging na saba) give it its sweetness, the chickpeas give a visual dissonance to the dish, the potatoes add body and the pechay add balance to all of these flavors.
A possible dish to be served at parties, this Beef Pochero recipe can also be whipped up as a viand in your everyday meal partnered with rice and patis as a side dip.
Beef pochero recipe
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 small cabbage quartered
- 1 bunch Bok choy
- 1 bundle long green beans (about 15 pieces)
- 1 medium potato cubed
- 2 large plantain (saba) bananas sliced
- 3 pcs chorizo de bilbao (chinese sausage) sliced thinly
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tbsp whole peppercorn
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup garbanzos (chick peas)
- Heat oil in the pot and fry the banana until color turns golden brown. Once done, set the bananas aside
- Put in the chorizo in the same pot and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes then set aside
- Saute the garlic, onion, and tomato
- Add the beef and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the fish sauce, tomato sauce, and whole peppercorn and mix well
- Add the water and simmer until meat is tender (about 35 minutes in pressure cooker)
- Put-in the fried chorizo, fried banana, potato, and garbanzos and simmer for 7 minutes
- Add the cabbage, long green beans and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the bok choy and turn off the heat. Cover the pot for 5 minutes to cook the bokchoy
- Serve hot.
Aside from this Beef Pochero Recipe, you can also try our Chicken Pochero Recipe. Thank you! Mabuhay!