Vegetarian miso nikomi udon recipe
If you prefer a vegetarian take on the recipe, here is one worth checking out.
- 1 red chili
- 3 cm of ginger ½ grated and ½ finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- 1 tbsp. sesame
- 3 cloves garlic
- 120 g udon noodles
- 200 g mixed mushrooms
- 800 ml boiled water
- 1 tbsp. white mushroom
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 3 spring onions
Mix sesame oil and tamari in a deep pan and heat on medium. Then add finely chopped garlic and ginger. Fry for 3 minutes.
Fry garlic for 2 additional minutes.
Add mushrooms. Fry on high for 6 minutes.
Add water, miso paste and noodles. Heat for three additional minutes.
Garnish with grated carrot, a squeeze of lime, sesame seeds and finely chopped onions.
- The finely chopped ginger will be added to the sesame and tamari mix while the grated portion may be added to the stock.
- Fry the mushrooms in garlic, chili, and ginger on medium-high heat. This will get them nice and crispy. Then set aside a spoonful to place them on top of the soup before serving.
- Add miso at the end of the recipe to help retain the flavor.
- Adding extra lime will provide a great accent of flavor for the miso.
- Blanch the carrot in the soup after adding it to the top for 1 to 2 minutes. This will soften it slightly to get a congruous texture.