Papaitan kambing recipe from the Ilocos region
The original papaitan na kambing is one of the most popular dishes in the northern Philippines area; specifically, the Ilocos region. It's made up of goat innards, which include its heart, lungs, and its small and large intestines.
Servings 7 people
- 2 kg goat tripe, lungs, intestines, & kidney boiled until slightly tender then sliced into small bits
- ¼ kg boiled goat’s blood boiled and sliced into cubes
- 10 pcs siling haba (banana peppers/chili fingers)
- 3 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- 4 medium-sized red onions finely sliced
- 6 cloves garlic crushed and minced
- 4 fingers ginger crushed
- 2 tbsp rock salt
- 1 tsp magic sarap
- ¼ cup pure papait (bile liquid)
- 2 liters water
Saute garlic until light brown, followed by the onions, and then the sliced and boiled goat’s intestines.
Add the ginger, patis, and magic sarap, and continue sauteing until the liquid is reduced or until the intestines turn to light brown.
Add the boiled goat’s blood, water, and salt. Let it boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Add the papait and siling haba, then simmer for 2-5 minutes. Taste it and add salt if necessary.
It's now ready to serve with steamed rice. This is best to eat when it’s hot.