Chicken pastel recipe (Filipino chicken pot pie): You’ll love the color!
Chicken Pastel is a recipe highly influenced by the Spanish colonizers in the Philippines. It’s quite similar to the American chicken pot pie.
It uses chicken breast and only needs a little time to make the chicken tender, unlike using other parts of the chicken.
In this post we'll cover:
Chicken Pastel Recipe Preparation Tips
As for the Chicken pastel recipe, the first step is to saute the marinated chicken in a little oil, minced garlic, and chopped white onions.
After this step, add in the vegetables such as carrots, bell pepper, and roughly chopped potatoes. Let this simmer for about 5 minutes then add the cream, salt, and pepper.
Cook this until the vegetable tender. Transfer the chicken pastel into an oven-proof baking dish.
Chicken pastel recipe (Filipino chicken pot pie)
- 1.8 pounds chicken breast deboned and diced
- 3 pcs pork sausages cooked and sliced (In Philippines we use Vienna Sausage)
- 2 medium-sized potatoes diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 cups mushrooms quartered (farmers brown ones work best)
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- ½ cup bacon chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ evaporated milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- In a pot fry the bacon pieces in butter, once brown remove and set aside.
- Now add garlic and onions then saute for a minute, then remove and set aside
- Now add chicken pieces and quickly fry until brown on all sides, remove then set aside.
- Add flour and mix well until it forms a roux.
- Add chicken stock mix well until there are no more lumps, then add chicken, pork sausages, potato, carrots, mushrooms, fried bacon, fried garlic, fried onions, and celery. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add evaporated milk, bring to a boil and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped parsley
This also has sausages and an assortment of vegetables. Some pastel chicken recipe requires the chicken to be marinated for at least an hour with soy sauce and calamansi or lemon juice.
This adds the savory texture that the Chicken Pastel has. The pastry crust toppings is simply a combination of all-purpose flour, cubed cold butter, salt, and water.
Mix these all together in a bowl and form a dough. Once the dough is formed, let this rest in the chiller for about 30 minutes or so.
Then the pastry crust is rolled out as a topping to the chicken pastel and is baked or broiled for 5-10 minutes until the crust turns golden brown.
This Chicken Pastel recipe is a perfect dish for parties and other celebrations with your family and friends. Try this now!
Joost Nusselder, the founder of Bite My Bun is a content marketer, dad and loves trying out new food with Japanese food at the heart of his passion, and together with his team he's been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with recipes and cooking tips.