When it comes to beer parties, Filipinos like the Pulutan either grilled or fried such as Nilasing na Hipon.
However, if it could be helped, the Filipinos very much wanted to cook their own pulutan. One such pulutan is the Crispy Tadyang ng Baka (Crispy Beef Ribs) Recipe.
A straightforward recipe, the ingredients in this Crispy Tadyang ng Baka recipe include the beef spare ribs which you can get from the butcher’s at the wet market or from the supermarket.
It is recommended though that you get it from the butcher’s so that, if you prefer, you can tell the butcher to include more meat into the spareribs.
Other ingredients just include the seasonings that you would use for the marinade such as the soy sauce, peppercorns, anise, onions, garlic, and bay leaf.
As you may have noticed, it looks very much like the ingredients for the marinade for Adobo, so if you are feeling adventurous, you can also add vinegar for the spareribs’ marinade.
As for the frying, you can use either cooking oil, butter or vegetable broth.
In this post we'll cover:
Crispy Tadyang ng Baka Recipe Preparation Summary & Tips
Preparing this dish is the difficult part of the Crispy Tadyang ng Baka recipe as this would still entail boiling the spareribs in a pot of boiling water until it is tender and marinating it.
In marinating, you have a choice of either having it on the fridge overnight or if you don’t have that much time, 1-2 hours will do.
Crispy tadyang ng baka recipe
- 1 kg beef spareribs saw cut crosswise to about 1 1/2”
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 head garlic crushed
- 3 pcs star anise
- 3 pcs bay leaf
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- cooking oil
- Cut the beef spareribs in sections to accommodate in a large pot.
- Add all the ingredients except the cooking oil in the pot.
- Add 2 to 3 cups of water or until beef is covered with water up to an inch above.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until very tender but bones intact.
- Add more water as necessary and remove scum that rises.
- When almost tender reduces liquid until just enough left to keep from burning the beef.
- Remove beef from the pot and let drain in a colander.
- Keep chilled until ready to fry.
- Heat enough oil in a deep fryer.
- Fry the beef spareribs in batches for 1 to 2 minutes each side or until crisp on the outside but moist in the inside.
- Remove from the fryer when done and drain excess oil in kitchen papers.
- Serve with vinegar with garlic, onion, and chili dip.
After the boiling and marinating, everything becomes easy as you would only have to deep-fry the spareribs.
In bringing it out of the frying pan, be sure to have paper towels lying on a plate or have at least a strainer to rid of the excess oils.
Serve this with a dip of soy sauce with chopped onions and chili. This Crispy Tadyang ng Baka recipe can also be cooked and served as a viand for rice-based meals.
Like crispy food? You should check out this Lechon Kawali Recipe (Crispy Fried Pork Belly)