This Chicken Barbecue recipe is a Filipino version which is on the sweeter side as compared to other chicken barbecue recipes.
The fondness of Filipinos to grilling or cooking over hot charcoals is so evident. You can buy Chicken Barbecue along street corners and in front of your neighbor’s house.
In this post we'll cover:
Marinating the Chicken
This Chicken Barbecue recipe has similar ingredients and methods of preparation with that of the Pork Barbecue. However, their flavors are different.
The Chicken Barbecue also requires a good marinade. Marinate your chicken for at least 12 hours to ensure maximum flavors when grilled.
The marinade consists of soy sauce, calamansi juice, banana ketchup, salt, sugar, black pepper, and Sprite or 7-up. Mix the marinade well and pour over the chicken.
The best chicken parts for the barbecue are the legs and thighs because they do not dry up when grilled. Poke the chicken with a fork to let the chicken meats absorb the marinade.
* If you like Asian food, I’ve made some great video’s with recipes & ingredient explanation on Youtube you’d probably enjoy:
Subscribe on Youtube
How to Prepare Chicken Barbecue
Grilling this barbecue chicken is the most fun part. To start grilling, set your charcoals on fire and fan the flame until the rest of the coals are all flared up.
Spray in some water into the charcoals to stop the fire and produce an aromatic smoke. Place your chicken and turn them once in a while to prevent them from burning.
Brush the chicken with the marinade to keep in the moisture of the chicken. The downside of grilling or cooking over hot charcoals is that the meat tends to be dry and rubbery.
Making Barbecue Sauce
- 1 rack of baby back or spare ribs
- 1 cup of Silver Swan Soy Sauce
- 1 cup of Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 cup of diced Red Onions
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 whole lemon ( squeezed out all the lemon juice to a container )
- 4 tbsp of sugar ( white or brown )
- 1tsp. Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup of Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- Mix all ingredients well and marinate meat for 2 to 4 hours at least. Overnight is preferred. Before cooking meats, remove from marinade. Reduce marinade by boiling and use as a glaze on the meat while cooking.
Another Method of Making the Barbecue Sauce
- Cook the marinade in low fire.
- Add a slurry which is one tablespoon of cornstarch and ½ cup of water.
- Stir well and pour over the marinade.
- Let this simmer until thick.
- Pour over the chicken barbecue.
- Enjoy with hot steamed rice.
Filipino chicken barbecue recipe
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 bouillon cube
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 lbs chicken thighs cut into small pieces (at the shelter they keep the bone in)
- Combine all the ingredients except chicken to make a marinade.
- Marinate the chicken for 3-4 hours.
- Start a charcoal grill and let the coals get very hot. You want to smoke, flameless coals.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto wood skewers and place on a metal grate over the coals. Brush with oil and grill until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes.
- Repeat the grilling process with the cooked chicken, brushing with oil as necessary, until the outside of the chicken is a deep golden brown with a crispy exterior.
- Dip in a soy sauce and vinegar mixture with bird’s eye chilis for a little spiciness.
In this recipe:
[lasso ref=”asamurasaki-oyster-soy-sauce” id=”4771″ link_id=”60492″]
[lasso ref=”classic-kikkoman-soy-sauce-in-dispenser” id=”6139″ link_id=”60493″]
Note: You can choose between the 2 Methods at the top when making Chicken Barbecue including the method for Marinating / Making the Sauce.
If you like this recipe, maybe you should check our Pork Barbecue Recipe too. Don’t Forget to Rate this Recipe.