This Ginataang Puso ng Saging recipe is another great and tasty variation of Ginataan, a popular Filipino dish that has all sorts of delicious variations made with ingredients such as meat, vegetables, and seafood that is cooked in coconut milk (Ginataan).
The Ginataang Puso ng Saging’s main ingredient is the flower of the Banana shrub, otherwise known by Filipinos as the “Puso ng Saging”.
The flower is considered a vegetable, and all sorts of other ingredients can be added to modify the recipe, such as dilis (anchovies).
The Ginataang Puso ng Saging would have a salty, fishy, and creamy taste which would go great together with rice.
The ingredients needed to make Ginataang Puso ng Saging are the following, coconut milk (Ginataan), the flower of a banana shrub, garlic, cooking oil, salt, and pepper, and the optional ingredient, anchovies.
The anchovies add a taste of the sea, giving a more vibrant taste to the Ginataaang Puso ng Saging, and it would definitely make it much tastier.
In this post we'll cover:
Ginataang Puso ng Saging Recipe and Preparation
- The first step to make Ginataang Puso ng Saging is to prepare the Puso ng Saging for cooking and make sure to put the edible parts in a bowl of water. And then dry them.
- Afterward, sauté pounded garlic in a pan with cooking oil on low-medium heat, once the garlic turns to a golden brown color, you can then add the coconut milk into the pan and wait until the coconut milk starts boiling.
- The next step in making Ginataang Puso ng Saging is to add the Banana’s flower and optionally, the anchovies once you see the coconut milk boiling in the pan, then simmer the ingredients, add some salt and pepper to add taste to the Ginataang Puso ng Saging.
- Once you see that the sauce from the Ginataang Puso ng Saging becomes thicker in consistency and reduces, you can then serve Ginataang Puso ng Saging. Enjoy!
Every month new cooking tips in your email?
Japanese recipes, cooking tips and more with the first email our FREE mini-recipe guide "Japanese with ease"
Ginataang puso ng saging recipe
- 1 banana blossom/bud (makes about 2–3 cups when thinly sliced)
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- ¼ cup hibe or dried shrimps
- 2 pcs siling haba/ green finger chilis
- 1 pc siling labuyo/ red bird’s eye chili (optional)
- salt and fish sauce, to taste
- Remove some layers of the bud (these are the dark and fibrous layers), until you reached the lighter colored and softer part.
- Thinly slice the bud crosswise, and soak it in a bowl of water with salt to remove bitterness and discoloration. Then squeeze dry.
- In a wok or pan, heat the coconut cream with the onions, garlic and dried shrimps (no sauteeing needed). Bring to boil while constantly stirring.
- Then add the sliced banana blossom.
- Season with salt or fish sauce, as preferred.
- Add chilis (add more if you wish)
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until banana blossom is tender.
- Enjoy. Serve with rice!
Also read: this is the Filipino version of gambas rebozadas or camaron shrimp