Picks When Serving Food? Your Ultimate Guide to Stylish Dining
Picks are a great way to elevate your serving game and add a touch of elegance to your food presentation. But what are they exactly?
Picks are small, usually wooden, skewers used to hold food together or to pick it up. They can be used to serve almost anything from meats to cheeses to desserts. They’re also great for serving drinks, especially cocktails.
In this article, I’ll explain what they are and how to use them properly so you can impress your friends with some fancy serving skills.
In this post we'll cover:
Get Picky: Elevate Your Food Serving Game with Picks
Picks are small, decorative skewers that can be used for a variety of purposes when serving food. They are perfect for adding a touch of elegance and fun to your presentation. Picks come in different shapes, sizes, and materials, such as bamboo, wood, plastic, or metal. They can be straight or curved, with or without a decorative top, and can be reused or disposable.
How to Use Picks When Serving Food
Picks can be used in many ways to enhance your food presentation, such as:
- Skewering and grilling kabobs: Use picks to thread meat, vegetables, and fruits onto skewers for grilling or roasting. This not only makes the food easier to handle but also adds a decorative touch to your dish.
- Dipping and serving sweets: Use picks to dip and serve sweets like chocolates, truffles, or marshmallows. This is a great way to avoid messy fingers and to make your dessert table look more sophisticated.
- Garnishing and presenting finger foods: Use picks to add a decorative touch to your appetizers, such as cheese cubes, olives, or cherry tomatoes. This will make your platter look more inviting and appetizing.
- Decorating and labeling drinks: Use picks to decorate and label your drinks, such as cocktails or smoothies. This will make your drinks look more festive and help your guests identify their drinks.
Tips for Using Picks
Here are some tips to keep in mind when using picks:
- Choose picks that match the theme or color scheme of your event or dish.
- Use picks sparingly to avoid overwhelming your dish or making it look cluttered.
- Label your picks if you are serving different types of food or drinks to avoid confusion.
- Make sure your picks are clean and sanitized before using them.
- Dispose of disposable picks after use, and wash and reuse reusable picks.
Picks are a simple yet effective way to elevate your food serving game. Whether you are hosting a fancy dinner party or a casual BBQ, picks can add a touch of style and fun to your presentation. So, get picky and start experimenting with different types of picks to see how they can enhance your dishes.
Food Pairings with Picks: A Versatile and Fun Way to Serve
When it comes to serving food with picks, there are a variety of designs and sizes available to choose from. Here are some tips to help you pick the right one for your food:
- For small items like appetizers or toppings, a small pick is required.
- For larger items like sandwiches or hors d’oeuvres, a bigger pick is needed.
- Wooden picks are a durable and reusable alternative to plastic picks.
- Paddle picks are useful for holding elaborate sandwiches or messy toppings.
- Inner box picks are a great way to reduce the mess while eating.
Foods to Serve with Picks
Picks are a fun and easy way to serve a variety of foods at events or parties. Here are some food pairings that work well with picks:
- Sandwiches: Use picks to hold together large sandwiches or cut them into smaller pieces for easy eating.
- Appetizers: Serve small appetizers like meatballs or cheese cubes with picks for added protection and sanitary purposes.
- Hors d’oeuvres: Picks are a great way to serve elaborate hors d’oeuvres like shrimp cocktail or stuffed mushrooms.
- Toppings: Use picks to serve toppings like olives or pickles with drinks or on top of dishes.
- Spherical foods such as takoyaki.
The Added Benefits of Using Picks
Using picks to serve food not only adds a fun and decorative touch to your events, but it also has added benefits:
- Picks help reduce the mess while eating, making it easier to enjoy your food.
- Picks are a sanitary way to serve food, especially in situations where guests are serving themselves.
- Wooden picks are a sustainable and eco-friendly product that can be reused multiple times.
- Picks come in a variety of designs and sizes, making them a versatile option for any type of food.
In conclusion, using picks to serve food is a versatile and fun way to add a decorative touch to your events while also providing added benefits like reducing mess and adding sanitary protection. With a variety of designs and sizes available, there is a pick for every type of food. So next time you’re serving food, consider using picks to make it a more enjoyable experience for everyone.
So, picks are a great way to elevate your food serving game and add a fun touch to your presentation. You can use them to skewer grilling kabobs, dip serve sweets, label drinks, and much more.
So, don’t be picky and experiment with picks!
Joost Nusselder, the founder of Bite My Bun is a content marketer, dad and loves trying out new food with Japanese food at the heart of his passion, and together with his team he's been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with recipes and cooking tips.