Pork Sinigang sa Kamias recipe is also known as Pork in Soured broth. Filipinos are well-known lovers of anything sour and that includes their main dishes.
Sinigang is considered a complete meal.
Each serving of Pork Sinigang contains a good amount of protein from the pork, fiber and trace minerals from the vegetables, carbohydrates from the
Pork Sinigang sa Kamias is also a budget-friendly dish. Since the Kamias, a sour and citrus fruit (also known as balimbi) can be sourced from the backyards of your neighbor in the Philippines.
Balimbi is a perennial plant that grows up to 7 feet tall and bears its fruit almost all year round.
In this post we'll cover:
Pork Sinigang sa Kamias Preparation
Just like the normal Pork Sinigang, Pork Sinigang sa Kamias is made by starting off the broth with plain water.
Add the pork brisket and or pork short ribs in the water and let this boil and simmer over low heat for about an hour and a half. Added to the pork broth are chopped
Filipino Sinigang sa Kamias recipe
- 2 lbs Pork back ribs cut into serving pieces
- 6 pcs taro roots peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 pcs okra
- 7 pcs kamias
- 2 Serrano peppers
- 1 large onion (Sliced)
- Salt to taste
- 1 bunch spinach (Trimmed)
- Pour in 5 cups water and Pork broth in a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Put Tomato, Onion, and Kamias and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the Pork continue to boil over medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Put the taro roots and cook for another 45 minutes or until the Pork gets tender.
- Put the vegetables and Cook for 3 minutes (45 seconds for the spinach).
- Once the Pork gets tender, add the fish sauce and stir.
The commonly used vegetables in making Pork Sinigang sa Kamias recipe are kangkong or swamp Chinese cabbage which resembles spinach leaves, it also has okra or lady’s fingers, labanos, or radish, and Sitaw or Yard Long Beans.
Pork Sinigang is a little fatty as compared to other types of Sinigang. To lessen or remove the fat, one simple procedure can be done.
When the Pork becomes tender, turn off the heat and allow the Pork broth to cool down or place it inside the chiller. The fat will rise and solidify. Use a spoon to remove excess fat.
Also check out this affordable Papis Filipino Pork ‘n Beans recipe