The Pork Sisig Recipe is a glorious Pork dish recipe that is a staple “Pulutan” among Filipinos. Sisig is a well-known dish from the Province of Pampanga.
Pulutan is a Filipino term that refers to any dish eaten when drinking alcoholic beverages.
The most common alcoholic beverage that is partnered with Sisig is an Ice Cold Beer. The earthy flavor of the Beer tends to balance the richness of this dish.
Sisig was first mentioned in a Kapampangan dictionary in the 17th Century. Sisig literally means to make a salad made with vinegar, chili, and salt.
It might be a little confusing that the sisig we know today is far different from its origins. So how do the Filipinos make their beloved sisig?
The process of cooking sisig is quite tedious; it takes a lot of time before you can finally dig in your spoon and fork into this lovely pork dish.
In this post we'll cover:
Pork Sisig Recipe and Main Ingredients
The main ingredients of this Pork Sisig recipe are Pork Ears and Pork Jowl. The most uncommon parts of the pig that are literally thrown away by your butcher.
The “Pork Jowl” is also part of the pig’s head.
The first part to successfully make your Pork Sisig is to boil your Pork Ears and Jowl with a heaping amount of salt in a pressure cooker.
If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can cook them in a conventional stovetop stockpot for about an hour or until the pork meat is tender.
Then, meat is grilled over hot charcoals.
This gives your Sisig recipe a distinct aroma.
* If you like Asian food, I’ve made some great video’s with recipes & ingredient explanation on Youtube you’d probably enjoy:
Subscribe on Youtube
Lastly, chop the pork meat finely and mix it together with chicken liver and chopped white onions, freshly squeezed calamansi juice, salt, pepper and red chili pepper for added spice.
The Traditional way of serving Sisig is on a Sizzling Plate. Thus, it is referred to as sizzling sisig on the menu of restaurants in the Philippines.
Pork Sisig with chicken liver Recipe (Sizzling Pork Sisig)
- ½ kg pork cheek or pork jowl
- 6 onions chopped
- 3 chicken liver boiled
- ¼ tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 pcs Calamansi (or a lemon)
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 head garlic chopped
- 2 red chili pepper
for the marinade: mix
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 pcs Calamansi
- 1 head garlic crushed
- Pour the marinade in a bowl and marinate the pork cheek for 2 to 3 hours.
- The first part to successfully make your Pork Sisig is to boil your Pork Ears and Jowl with a heaping amount of salt in a pressure cooker.
- Remove the pork cheek, allow to drain and then grill until cooked.
- Chop the pork cheek. Mix with the onions and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the juice of the calamansi with the pepper, salt, chicken liver.
- Add the chopped pork cheek to the mixture.
- To serve Grease a sizzling plate with margarine. Place some garlic on it. Add the sisig mixture. Top with red bell pepper.
- Serve it with rice and a cooked egg
- Or add a raw egg on top of the sizzling plate