If there’s something that has taken the entire world by storm it’s Takoyaki—Japan’s Takoyaki.
If you have ever visited Osaka, Japan, then you would agree with me that Takoyaki is the best street food in Osaka.
Today, this street food from Japan is being enjoyed and sampled by many people from all corners of the world.
Maybe, there is a possibility that you have seen this delicacy somewhere if you haven’t had the opportunity to taste it yet.
Even though many people eat Takoyaki, they don’t know how they can make a batch for themselves in their homes. But, there is something that you need to know first:
Making Takoyaki requires one to have the right tools, such as the right ingredients and the right pan. Therefore, this article will highlight the best Takoyaki pans, and recommend the best pan.
My advice would be to go for this cast iron Takoyaki pan because of its durability and ease of use on your stovetop.
I think you should definitely get a cast iron Takoyaki pan for its durability, plus it’s the more authentic option to choose.
Also, look for a pan with a larger size like this one to be able to fit a few more Takoyaki balls at a time. Making a few snacks for more than two people would be a nightmare otherwise or you would have to get two smaller ones and use them simultaneously.
But I’ve reviewed a few from stovetop pans to electric Takoyaki makers and Takoyaki machines.
|Best cast iron Takoyaki pan: Happy Sales HSTBT1||(view more images)|
|Best stovetop Takoyaki pan: Norpro Nonstick Stuffed-Pancake Pan||(view more images)|
|Best electric Takoyaki pan: Yamazen Suzanne Lefebvre||(view more images)|
|Best multi-purpose Takoyaki baking machine: Zojirushi Multi Baker||(view more images)|
|Best Takoyaki maker: Iwatani Takoyaki Grill Pan||(view more images)|
|Best budget Takoyaki pan: Vaorwne Nonstick Aluminum||(view more images)|
|Best Automatic Takoyaki Machine: Sugiyama Metal||
In this post we'll cover:
- 1 Best Takoyaki Pans
- 1.1 Best cast iron Takoyaki pan: Happy Sales HSTBT1
- 1.2 Best stovetop Takoyaki pan: Norpro Nonstick Stuffed-Pancake Pan
- 1.3 Best electric Takoyaki pan: Yamazen Suzanne Lefebvre
- 1.4 Best multi-purpose Takoyaki baking machine: Zojirushi Multi Baker
- 1.5 Best Takoyaki maker: Iwatani Takoyaki Grill Pan
- 1.6 Best budget Takoyaki pan: Keeper Nonstick Aluminum
- 1.7 Best Automatic Takoyaki Machine: Sugiyama Metal
- 2 What Is Takoyaki?
- 3 What’s The Origin Of Takoyaki?
- 4 What Makes Takoyaki So Popular?
- 5 What Are The Popular Ingredients In This Japanese Delicacy?
- 6 Important things to note when choosing a Takoyaki Pan
- 7 Bottom Line
Best Takoyaki Pans
Best cast iron Takoyaki pan: Happy Sales HSTBT1
Preparing Takoyaki in your kitchen is a fun affair, regardless of whether you are alone or with your family.
This Happy Sales HSTBT1 will be such a good choice if you don’t have a dedicated pan yet if you are interested in cooking your favorite Japanese delicacy.
One notable feature about this pan is its wooden handle, which ensures that your grip is cool while handling the pan.
Other cast-iron Takoyaki pans don’t have a grip, which makes things a bit challenging as you cook Takoyaki.
Although this pan will produce small batches of Takoyaki balls, all your Takoyaki balls will cook evenly since the pan has a smaller surface area to heat.
However, the pan has only one downside—it doesn’t come with a non-stick surface.
Therefore, it is recommendable to make sure that you use extra oil as this keeps the pan smooth and also prevents the Takoyaki from sticking.
- Comes with a single wooden handle
- You can use it to prepare round pancakes and Takoyaki
- You can heat the pan directly using a gas burner
You can’t go wrong with this cast iron Takoyaki pan and it’s still really affordable, you should check it out here on Amazon
Best stovetop Takoyaki pan: Norpro Nonstick Stuffed-Pancake Pan
This Takoyaki pan is ideal for someone who stays alone and loves this amazing Japanese snack. With the Norpro Nonstick Stuffed-Pancake Pan, Munk / Aebleskiver / Ebelskiver, you can prepare Takoyaki easily from the comfort of your home.
The pan is made of cast aluminum and can cook up to 7 mouthwatering Takoyaki balls.
Many people love this Takoyaki pan because of its 7.5” ergonomic plastic handle. This handle remains cool as you cook your Takoyaki, which means you don’t have to worry about getting burnt as you use the pan.
Since the pan is made out of lightweight cast iron, it heats up quickly, thus saving you energy. In addition to this, the pan also comes with some recipe books.
Generally, the Norpro Nonstick Stuffed-Pancake Pan, Munk / Aebleskiver / Ebelskiver is an excellent Takoyaki pan, especially for someone who wants to prepare smaller amounts of this delicacy or to prepare a quick snack.
- Versatility—You can easily prepare the Aebleskiver, a popular Danish snack, filled pancakes, and Takoyaki using this pan.
- Comes with a non-stick cast iron aluminum surface, which heats up quickly
- Ergonomic 7.5” plastic handle
- Instructions and recipes included
Best electric Takoyaki pan: Yamazen Suzanne Lefebvre
Many people love this Takoyaki pan. Since it is an electric pan, it does away with all the stresses involved in cooking. The electric Takoyaki pan is large enough, and it is recommended for family use.
It can make an average of 24 Takoyaki balls per batch. One notable feature about this Takoyaki pan is its lifted exterior design, which prevents the batter from overflowing.
In addition to that, it comes with a non-stick surface, which means the pan doesn’t hold the Takoyaki as you prepare it, and it also makes cleaning the pan easier.
Since this is a Japanese model, its voltage slightly varies in different parts of the world.
The major challenge of the electric Takoyaki pan is that it doesn’t have temperature control settings.
This means, you cannot regulate temperature, and the only way to do that is to shut it off whenever it becomes extremely hot.
- Power consumption – 800 W
- Weight – 1.45 kg
- Dimensions – 72 H x 245 x 365 mm
- Plate – fluorine-resin coated plate – it is removable, 100% safe, and can be cleaned easily
- Holes – 24
And it’s really not that expensive when buying it here from Amazon
Best multi-purpose Takoyaki baking machine: Zojirushi Multi Baker
Even though this is considered to be a multi baker pan, it is one of the best pans when it comes to making Takoyaki. This Takoyaki pan relies on electricity and has an energy consumption of 650 watts.
Therefore, you can consider this to be a small but yet effective Takoyaki pan that you can rely on whenever you crave for this Japanese delicacy.
Interestingly, you can use this Takoyaki pan when making meatballs. The Zojirushi Multi Baker comes equipped with a skillet, which you can use to make other interesting dishes like pizza.
In addition, the pan has a pie maker, which comes in handy for those who like making brownies and pies.
The takoyaki pan has a non-stick surface, which is made out of safe Teflon. In addition to this, the pan is portable, easy to clean, store and use.
- This pan comes with 3 skillets that can be interchanged
- You can use for cake pops, meatballs, and other interesting dishes.
- This pan is suitable for baking, grilling, making deserts—it is such a wonderful and versatile home appliance
- Makes a wonderful gift
This is our cheapest option yet if you get it here from Amazon
Also read: delicious Takoyaki recipes
Best Takoyaki maker: Iwatani Takoyaki Grill Pan
The Takoyaki Grill Cooking Plate from Iwatani is the perfect Takoyaki pan for those who like to prepare this delicious Japanese snack on moveable butane stoves.
This pan’s base has grooves, which lock the pan into place while using a butane stove. As a result, the Takoyaki cooks evenly and also prevents the snack from developing bumps and nudges.
Get good at making sushi:The most comprehensive sushi course online by Dan Yang
Get your quick start in enjoying Japanese cuisine here with our top recommended tools
This pan is aluminum coated, and it has a non-stick surface. Therefore, you don’t need to worry when cooking your Takoyaki using this pan since it cannot produce misshape or broken Takoyaki balls.
The pan is so easy to use, and the entire family can participate in the cooking process. One notable thing about this pan is that it’s easy to clean, and it is also dishwasher safe.
Overall, this is an excellent Takoyaki pan for people with gas or butane stoves.
- This pan presents different styles of cooking
- Comes with a non-stick surface, which makes it easier to clean the pan
- It has a thick material, which is ideal for storing heat
- Weight – 730 g
- Dimension -- 39 H x 210 D x 260 W mm
- Main material – aluminum allow, with a non-stick coated upper surface.
Best budget Takoyaki pan: Keeper Nonstick Aluminum
As highlighted earlier, Takoyaki is one of the most popular snacks in Japan. However, since Takoyaki is fried to perfection, it even tastes better if cooked fresh.
So, you have the opportunity to enjoy this popular Japanese snack at the comfort of your home, thanks to the Takoyaki Pan, Keeper Nonstick Cast Aluminum Alloy Baking Tray.
This Takoyaki pan is made of cast aluminum, which makes it durable, lightweight, and a good conductor of heat.
In addition to this, the pan is coated with Teflon, which makes it non-stick, meaning that you can easily remove your Takoyaki once they are ready.
Moreover, the pan comes with a plastic-coated handle, making the pan safe and comfortable to use.
The Takoyaki Pan, Keeper Nonstick Cast Aluminum Alloy Baking Tray can prepare up to 12 Takoyaki balls at a go.
This means you can prepare snacks for two easily. The pan is also dishwasher safe, which makes cleaning it even easier. This versatile Takoyaki pan is easy and simple to use.
- Comes with a single plastic coated handle
- You can use the pan to prepare round pancakes and Takoyaki
- Has cast aluminum body and non-stick cooking surface
- Can prepare up to 12 Takoyaki
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
Best Automatic Takoyaki Machine: Sugiyama Metal
Just look at this automatic Takoyaki machine at a streed food vendor:
Now that’s a very large industrial grade Takoyaki machine and you probably aren’t going to put that in your house, but there is a smaller-scale machine out there that does the job perfectly.
It’s the Sugiyama Metal Takoyaki Machine, and you can see it in action here:
What Is Takoyaki?
Takoyaki is a Japanese snack, resembling a ball, which is made from wheat flour batter, and it is cooked using a Takoyaki pan. This delicacy is mostly filled with diced or cooked octopus, green onion, garlic, ginger, and tempura.
In addition to this, the Takoyaki specialists use a savory sauce with different toppings to cover the delicacy.
When you visit Japan, it’s not strange to see people queuing, just waiting to buy and enjoy this richly flavored and delicious street food.
A standard Takoyaki pan can make an average of 12 to 24 balls of Takoyaki.
What’s The Origin Of Takoyaki?
This famous Japanese delicacy has humble beginnings—it originates from Kansai, located in western Japan.
The early versions of this dish can be traced back to the early 1930s, and it quickly spread to become famous in the streets of Osaka as well as other neighboring cities.
Today, you can easily find Takoyaki shops in almost every town in Japan, with different regional variations of this dish.
What Makes Takoyaki So Popular?
Taste is one of the major reasons why food becomes famous. However, it goes beyond taste in the case of Takoyaki.
Many consider Takoyaki to be soul food. They claim that once eaten, it can stimulate a person’s taste buds, to the extent that it touches the deepest part of a person’s heart.
You will crave for more after taking your first bite.
Takoyaki is full of “umami,” a popular Japanese flavor.
Many say that this flavor has majorly contributed to Takoyaki being considered as soul food, so long as you like eating tentacles from seafood as well as other flavors derived from the sea.
Besides the numerous flavors that can be added to this dish, it can make someone cry because of the scale of its deliciousness.
What Are The Popular Ingredients In This Japanese Delicacy?
As we have seen earlier, Takoyaki is a ball-shaped Japanese snack consisting of wheat batter, octopus, ginger, garlic, green onion, and tempura.
In addition to this, the dish is covered with a sauce and Japanese Mayonnaise.
It is important to note that various Japanese shops have different toppings for this dish, ranging from mentaiko, bonito flakes, and soy sauce amongst others.
As mentioned earlier, this Japanese snack varies from city to city, and its ingredients also vary.
Important things to note when choosing a Takoyaki Pan
Making Takoyaki at home is not hard so long as you have the right Takoyaki pan and ingredients. In addition to this, you will also need other accessories to assist you in preparing this snack.
Therefore, you will need to buy the right and quality pan to make things easier for you. Here are some important things to consider when buying a Takoyaki pan.
- How does the pan work? – Different Takoyaki pans have different functionalities. For instance, there are pans that come with their own heat sources, and these are electric Takoyaki pans. Other Takoyaki pan designs require one to place them on stoves. Therefore, you need to consider the source of heat you use while cooking before getting a Takoyaki pan.
- The size – you don’t want to get a pan that will cause you lots of problems when it comes to its storage. Therefore, you need to choose a pan that will fit well in your already existing kitchen cabinet. Besides, you need to consider the size, as the pan you select should prepare enough Takoyaki balls for the entire family.
- Is the pan for home or commercial use? – The number of Takoyaki balls you need to prepare in one batch should determine this. Different Takoyaki pans have different outputs. However, this all depends on where you are planning to use the pan. If you want to use the pan at your home, then you should consider buying a normal-sized pan. However, if you want a Takoyaki pan for commercial purposes, then consider getting a larger pan.
- The material used – the common Takoyaki pans are made out of steel or cast iron. However, some of these pans come with non-stick properties. However, when buying a Takoyaki pan with non-stick properties, you need to make sure that it doesn’t have any toxic chemicals. But, non-stick Takoyaki pans are preferable since they are easy to clean.
- Your budget – how much are you planning to spend on your Takoyaki pan? The price of a good Takoyaki pan ranges from $15 to $100. However, if you are buying a larger pan, then you should expect to spend more.
Today, Takoyaki has turned out to be one of the most popular Japanese snacks. Many people love this amazing delicacy, and you will definitely fall in love with the moment you give it a try.
As a result, many Takoyaki lovers have decided to try preparing their own Takoyaki, either for their own enjoyment or for parties.
This, in turn, has increased the demand for Takoyaki pans. That’s the reason we have a wide variety of Takoyaki pans, which range from the normal iron cast pans to the complete sets with oil brushes and other accessories.
With that said, your ideal Takoyaki pan would depend on a number of things. This includes:
Get to know everything that makes Japanese food great:92 best authentic Japanese food recipes by Pearl Ishizaki
Get your quick start in enjoying Japanese cuisine here with our top recommended tools
- Your budget – as we highlighted earlier, the prices of Takoyaki pans vary depending on a number of things. This means you will still get a Takoyaki pan within the budget you have set.
- Features – each Takoyaki pan has its unique set of features, including handles, non-stick surfaces, main material, and additional accessories. Each of these will greatly determine the pan you get.
- Portability – are you looking for a pan to use in your own home or while on the go? If that’s the case, there are different pans for each use.
- The number of Takoyaki balls – different Takoyaki pans have a different output in terms of Takoyaki balls, and this depends on the size. So the size and number of Takoyaki Balls you want to prepare will greatly determine the pan you will buy.
With that said, you can visit different online stores and get your favorite Takoyaki pan.
Read more: Japanese noodle varieties you can cook with