One of the most sought-afterin the Philippines is Buko Pandan Salad.
The combination of the green gelatin flavored with the fragrant pandan and the slivers of young coconut meat smothered into the richness of all-purpose cream and sweetened condensed milk is simply divine.
In this post we'll cover:
Buko Pandan Salad Ingredients and Procedure
The best method to achieve the authentic “buko pandan” flavor is to boil the pandan or screwpine leaves in the juice of young coconut or buko.
Let the boiled pandan leaves and buko cool down, then remove the pandan leaves and dissolve the green gelatin powder into the cooled pandan-buko juice.
Simmer the dissolved green gulaman mixture and stir continuously or just follow the package instructions.
You can add a little teaspoon of store pandan extract if there are no available fresh pandan leaves in your area, just make sure not to use this too much since artificial pandan flavors tend to be bitter.
The pandan extract or flavoring can be bought in Asian stores or at thesection of large groceries.
Immediately pour the gelatine mixture into rectangular trays and let them set completely. Cut the gelatin into small cubes or squares.
Follow Our Special Buko Pandan Salad Recipe Below
Buko pandan salad dessert recipe
- buko or young coconut meat shredded into strips
- 1 pack green unflavored gelatin
- 1 small can condensed/ sweetened milk
- 1 pack all purpose cream
- pandan flavoring
- optional sago or tapioca balls
- optional nata de coco
- Prepare the gelatin as indicated on the box instructions. Pour into molds, set aside to cool and harden.
- When gelatin is firm to the touch, remove from molds and cut into cubes (or whatever shape you want).
- In a container, mix together gelatin, buko strips, sweetened milk and cream (also optional sago and nata de coco).
- Add a small drop of pandan flavoring.
- Chill in the fridge, and serve cold.
2. If pandan leaves are available, cook gelatin with pandan infused water.
Why Buko Pandan Salad is One of the Best?
Buko Pandan Salad is best served either frozen or chilled. Sometimes a scoop of vanilla ice cream is also a perfect treat for the buko pandan salad.
This is a perfectduring the hot and humid summer days in a tropical country like the Philippines.
Just in case you cannot find fresh young coconut or buko, you can always substitute that with the bottled macapuno slices.
It has a slightly different taste as compared to the fresh young coconut meat but it’s the closest ingredient you could get your hands into to make this delectable.
A small serving of buko pandan is simply not enough to satisfy your cravings for something cold and sweet. You can also see our version of Filipino Fruit Salad Recipe.