Filipino’s celebrate every occasion & it doesn’t matter what the occasion is, you can always serve Cassava Cake as a delicious treat.
The Cassava Cake contains sugar, eggs, coconut milk, and of course, freshly grated cassava, and a little grated cheese to top it off.
Its creaminess is what makes it a favorite dessert and sets it apart from other desserts you might try, so let’s start making a batch.
In this post we'll cover:
Cassava Cake Recipe Tips & Preparation
Easy, Creamy & Cheesy Cassava Cake Recipe
- 4½ lbs cassava grated
- 6 cups coconut milk (squeezed from 2 coconuts)
- 1 big can evaporated milk
- 1 lbs brown sugar (Segunda)
- 1 tbsp Butter for greasing
- 1½ cups coconut cream
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 big can condensed milk
- 1 small packet cheddar cheese (grated)
- macapuno (optional)
- Mix the grated cassava, sugar, evaporated milk, and coconut milk.
- Adjust your mixture by adding water if you think your mixture is too dry but don't make it too watery.
- Grease the pan then pour in the cassava mixture and bake in a preheated oven on 350°f for 1 hour until translucent in color. Make sure the mixture and moisture is evenly spread across the pan so it will have the same moisture and consistency throughout the whole cake.
- Remove it from the oven and mix all the toppings together except for the cheese and cover the top of the cake with the mixture. You'll add the cheese on top just at the very end of baking to make sure it doesn't burn, it just has to melt.Then bake it again until this topping mixture is golden brown in color.
- Remove it from the oven again and add the grated cheese on top and bake for another minute or so until the cheese is golden brown.
- Now it's ready to serve
You make cassava cake in tin molds like the ones used in Leche Flan, which is also another favorite dessert in the Philippines but any mold or oven tray will do, as long as it has high edges.
The base of the cake can get pretty creamy, but that’s what makes it delicious!
Make sure that you follow the directions especially the amount of moisture and sugar, and the number of minutes needed in baking this dessert to ensure that it will have that creamy, mouthwatering taste.
There are many ways in which you can prepare the cassava like simply boiling it and mixing red sugar but the Cassava Cake Recipe, which started in Lucban, Quezon is the one that became favorite on special occasions.
It’s also a favorite “pasalubong” for family and friends and why not? It’s one of the most deliciously creamy desserts or merienda you can ever have.
Several “pasalubong” centers in Southern Luzon offer a wide variety of take-home pies or cakes and the Cassava Cake is one of them.
The root crop, Cassava, originated in Southern Mexico but there’s plenty of it in the Philippines. Its plant grows about 3 meters tall and is called Kamoteng Kahoy in Tagalog.
It’s also easy to prepare as the preparation and cooking time only takes about thirty minutes each making it ready after an hour.
Don’t forget to garnish it with grated cheese before serving. Your family and guests will surely love its creamy taste and your party will be a success.
A cup of hot and perfectly brewed coffee can be a good partner drink for this dessert making it all the more mouthwatering.
Health Benefits of Cassava Cake
But do you know that aside from its wonderful taste, the Cassava Cake Recipe will also be beneficial for the health?
This root crop is packed with nutritional benefits; contains Vitamins A, C E, and K. It also contains Iron which aids blood in carrying oxygen all throughout your body.
It has zero cholesterol, around 6% of potassium, and only a percent of sodium.
It also has dietary fiber and protein which gives energy.
You can see now that in eating this dessert, it’s not just your stomach and taste buds that will benefit from this but most especially your health. Imagine that!
It’s not always that you can get to eat something truly delicious without thinking of the bad effects on your health.
If you haven’t tried it, this is the time to allow yourself and your family and friends to get a taste of this impeccable dessert, The Cassava Cake Recipe.
Marami pong Salamat!!
Also read: homemade egg pie recipe you can’t resist