Filipino Chicken Ala King Recipe
Chicken Ala King is not exactly what you may regard as an ordinary household recipe. It is more likely to be considered as a dish that is usually served during special occasions.
In this post we'll cover:
Who invented chicken a la king?
It is not known which among the many histories of this recipe is true. Some say that in the 1880s, the Chef of the Delmonico Restaurant created this dish.
Others say that in the 1890s, the Brighton Beach Hotel in New York’s Resident Chef created this dish.
There are many further versions regarding the history of this savory dish and no one knows exactly for sure which the true one is.
But then again, no matter who and where it was created, the Chicken Ala King Recipe is something that you can say is a must in your menu.
You will find yourself adoring this dish once you get a taste of its creaminess.
Filipino Chicken Ala King Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp peppercorns
- 1 can pineapple chunks (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and pounded
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup dry sherry wine
- cool water
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 4 sweet peppers stemmed, cored and chopped
- 4 ounces fresh button mushrooms sliced thinly
- 2 cups broth (reserved from poaching the chicken)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, arrange the chicken in a layer.
- Add the salt, peppercorns, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Add wine and enough water to cover chicken to about 1-inch high.
- Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top.
- When liquid begins to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until center of chicken reads 165 F.
- Immediately remove chicken from pot and allow to cool to touch.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes. Strain broth and reserve about 2 cups. Discard aromatics.
- In a saucepot over medium heat, heat butter until melted. Add onions and cook until limp.
- Add sweet peppers and mushrooms and pineapple chunks and cook, stirring regularly, until softened.
- Add flour and cook, stirring regularly, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the remaining broth and the cream, whisking regularly until smooth and mixed well.
- Add the chicken. Lower the heat, continue to cook and still continuing until the sauce comes to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper and adjust according to taste.
- Serve while Hot. Best with Rice.
Chicken Ala King Recipe Preparation Tips
The preparation time for this Chicken Ala King Recipe just takes around (20) Twenty Minutes while its cooking time is around (30) Thirty Minutes.
It won’t take too long and it’s not hard to prepare either.
Just like in any other dish, you should, of course, buy the freshest ingredients in the market especially the Chicken and the Vegetables; these two being the main ingredient.
The Dept. of Agriculture in the United States have advised everyone to refrain from washing chicken meat because this doesn’t remove the bacteria and it might even cause it to spread around due to the splashing of water.
According to them, it should instead be cooked in 165°F.
Also read: these are the ingredients to make Chicken Galantina
This, according to them will be more helpful in the destruction of diseases that arise from food.
This dish contains a lot of ingredients like bell pepper, mushrooms, fresh parsley, thyme, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, cream, butter and many more.
You will also need dry sherry, chicken broth, sliced pimiento, and chicken broth.
These ingredients all the more add a distinct savory taste that you will keep craving for more. The butter and heavy cream will make it as creamy as can be.
When it’s time to have a taste of your Chicken Ala King Recipe, you can either choose to have a cup of steamed rice or partner it with garlic bread.
It is also best taken with white wine as in other white meat. Your family, guests and even you will say that adding this dish to your menu is something you should have done a long time ago.
It will now be a regular sight in your household every time you celebrated significant occasions. The kids, as well as the adults, will surely enjoy this wonderful dish.
On another note, you have to know that this is not just delectable but also healthy.
Being a dish that is loaded with herbs make this a recipe that is not just what you may consider as an answer to the hungry tummy but it’s also good for the body.
You can say that this Chicken Ala King recipe is something that is really worth trying. You won’t regret it for sure. Salamat po.
Also read about this Filipino Chicken Carbonara Recipe with basil & chili powder
Joost Nusselder, the founder of Bite My Bun is a content marketer, dad and loves trying out new food with Japanese food at the heart of his passion, and together with his team he's been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with recipes and cooking tips.