Ramen, especially instant ramen, is a quick and affordable meal at any time of the day.
If you buy ramen packets, they contain noodles and one or two seasoning packets. To cook the ramen, you usually put the noodles in a bowl, add the seasoning, and then pour boiling water and let them simmer for a few minutes.
But, what if you are not near the stovetop and don’t have a kettle nearby?
Did you know that you can make ramen in the microwave? It’s so easy to do; anyone can make ramen in a few minutes.
I’m going to explain how to make ramen in the microwave step by step.
In this post we'll cover:
- 1 Can you microwave ramen?
- 2 How to microwave ramen
- 3 How to cook shin ramyun in the microwave
- 4 Ramen microwave vs. stove
- 5 Can you microwave ramen in a styrofoam cup?
- 6 How to cook ramen with egg in the microwave
- 7 How long to microwave ramen cup
- 8 Can you microwave Maruchan ramen cup?
- 9 Is microwaving ramen bad?
- 10 Microwave ramen recipes
- 11 Mixed vegetable ramen in a mug
- 12 Bottom line
Can you microwave ramen?
Yes, you can totally microwave ramen. In fact, there is nothing to prevent you from microwaving ramen. All you have to do is remove the packaging and put the noodles in a microwave-safe bowl.
If you bought ramen in styrofoam, you have to remove the noodles and seasoning packets and cook them separately.
But, making ramen in the microwave doesn’t take longer than a maximum of 5 minutes so that anyone can do it!
How long do you microwave ramen?
Generally, you microwave ramen anywhere between 2-5 minutes.
A very powerful microwave can cook the noodles in 2 minutes, but in general, you can boil the water first for 3 minutes and then cook the noodles in the water for another 2-5.
Can you microwave top ramen?
Sure you can. Top Ramen is just like most other ramen or instant noodle brands.
You can microwave the ingredients to make delicious ramen. Just because the packaging recommends, stovetop cooking doesn’t mean you can’t microwave the noodles.
How to microwave ramen
Just a heads up, always remove the noodles and seasoning packets. You don’t want any plastic or toxins seeping into the food.
There are two simple ways to cook ramen in the microwave!
Method one: prepare the water first & then cook noodles
- Take off the packaging and place the noodles in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add about 2 cups of water to the bowl. Put it in the microwave for approximately 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove the hot bowl and put the noodles in hot water. You can break up the noodles if you want them to absorb more moisture faster.
- Now microwave the noodles for about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove carefully.
At this point, you can add the seasoning packets and mix them with the noodles. Wait for a minute before you start eating so the noodles can absorb the flavoring.
Alternatively, you can use a separate bowl, put the seasoning at the bottom and then transfer the hot water and noodles, but this is optional.
Method two: microwave noodles in the bowl directly
- Remove the ramen from its packaging. Break up the ramen if you prefer smaller pieces.
- Grab a microwave-safe bowl. Place the noodles in the bowl.
- Cover the noodles with water. You usually need about 2 cups of water to cover the noodles completely.
- Put a lid or small plate over the bowl to prevent splattering and place the bowl in the microwave.
- Microwave the ramen for between 3 to 5 minutes. If you’re not sure how powerful the microwave is, check after 3 minutes and see if the noodles look soft and cooked. If not, continue to heat them for another 2 minutes max.
Then, take the noodles out of the microwave and let them sit for one minute, then mix in the seasoning packets. Stir and then enjoy your meal!
How to cook shin ramyun in the microwave
Shin ramyun Korean noodles are very popular and flavorful. A lot of people claim these are the best ramyeon noodle packages.
You can cook them in the microwave, and I’ve checked Nonghshim (the manufacturer’s) official website to find out the best way to cook their ramen products in the microwave.
Here’s how to do it:
- Grab a microwave-safe bowl. Place the seasoning packet and the vegetable mix into the bowl.
- Add the noodles on top of those ingredients. You can break the noodles up if you want.
- Pour 470 ml of room-temperature water on top of the noodles to cover them. That’s about 2 cups of water.
- Make sure to place a microwave-safe lid on the bowl and cook for about 7 minutes. If you use hot water, you only need to cook the ramen for 4 minutes.
Ramen microwave vs. stove
There’s quite a debate about cooking ramen in the microwave versus the stove. Most people claim that stovetop ramen is tastier because the noodles have a better texture.
Here’s the thing: when you cook noodles in the microwave, they can easily become overcooked, and the texture becomes mushy.
It’s easier to keep an eye on the noodle texture when you boil them on the stovetop. You can stir and see the firmness.
With both methods, though, the noodles might absorb too much water, and they can be mushy. It’s all about timing and not overcooking them.
With stovetop cooking, you can use a bit less water and make the noodles more condensed and less soupy.
In terms of flavor, both stovetop-cooked ramen and microwaved ramen tastes the same because the flavor comes from those seasoning packets.
Stovetop cooking takes longer because you have to wait for the water to boil, and then there’s more clean-up involved. If you’re on the run and need a quick meal, then cook the ramen in the microwave and save time.
Already cooked your ramen and wondering if you can reheat ramen noodles?
Can you microwave ramen in a styrofoam cup?
Some ramen is packaged in a cylindrical styrofoam cup. It’s often labeled as instant noodles.
So, how can you cook those noodles? Is it safe to microwave styrofoam?
The answer is NO. You should never microwave noodles and water in the styrofoam cup because it’s dangerous.
Not only can the cup lose its shape, but dangerous chemicals will seep into the food, and they can make you ill.
Toxins like BHT stabilizers are added to styrofoam to make it sturdier. When this substance dissolves, it creates unhealthy toxic vapors that are bad for human health.
The problem is that polystyrene containers do not usually get a “microwave safe” label because they don’t do well in high heat.
Styrofoam won’t melt if you microwave it for three or so minutes, but it might lose its shape, and the hot soup and noodles can fall out and make a huge mess.
Additionally, some cheap styrofoam can actually become a fire hazard when microwaved for too long, so avoid doing it and keep your home safe. You don’t want to damage the device.
Some containers are labeled microwave-safe. In that case, you can microwave them but otherwise, don’t.
How to cook ramen with egg in the microwave
Surely ramen with egg is one of the tastiest ways to enjoy this yummy noodle dish. But, at first glance, it would seem complicated to cook ramen with eggs in the microwave.
Fortunately, it’s simpler than it sounds, and it’s just as tasty as a stove-cooked egg.
Not only does adding egg increase the ramen’s nutritional value, but you’ll feel like your eating authentic restaurant-style meals.
Ramen in the microwave with egg is a must-try simple lunch or dinner for busy people!
So, let me show you how easy it is to make:
- Step one is to cook the noodles in water. Place the noodles in a bowl, cover with about 2 cups of water, and microwave for approximately 3 minutes. Make sure the bowl is microwave-safe and large enough for noodles and egg. If the noodles are not soft, cook for an additional one or two minutes.
- Now, remove the noodles from the microwave, add the seasoning packets and let them sit for a couple of minutes to infuse the flavors.
Poached and boiled eggs are the best ways to incorporate eggs into ramen. I’ll show you how to make both in the microwave.
What you need to know is that the eggs are cooked separately and then added to ramen.
Poached egg in the microwave
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add two cups of water.
- Heat the water for about 2 minutes until it starts to boil. Take the bowl out.
- Grab an egg that is at room temperature and crack the egg into the hot water.
- Now heat on high for 30 seconds until the yolk is custard-like and the white part sets.
Now transfer the egg on top of the cooked and seasoned ramen.
Boiled egg in the microwave
- Grab a microwave-safe bowl and place the egg. Cover with warm water, making sure the egg is completely covered.
- Then, microwave the egg for 2 minutes.
- For a soft-boiled egg, let the egg sit in hot water for an additional 2 minutes, and for a hard-boiled egg, let it sit for 5 minutes.
You can cut up the egg into slices or small pieces and add it to the ramen.
How long to microwave ramen cup
Please note that cup noodles or ramen noodles in a cup should not be microwaved in the cup. As I mentioned earlier, the cups release toxins when heated.
But, if you’re wondering how long the noodles in the cup must be cooked, the answer is about 3 or so minutes. If the microwave is not very powerful, you can cook the ramen for up to 5 minutes.
According to most cup noodle instructions, you take the noodles out and microwave them with water for about 3 minutes.
Then, you pour them back into the noodle cup, add the seasoning packets, and then cover them with the provided lid.
Let the noodles sit for a couple of minutes, then stir and enjoy.
Can you microwave Maruchan ramen cup?
No, you can’t microwave the Maruchan brand ramen straight in the cup because of the same reasons I shared above.
The cups contain harmful toxic chemicals that seep into the food when heated.
Is microwaving ramen bad?
No, as long as you don’t cook ramen in the foam cups, there is no health risk of microwaving ramen.
If you’re concerned about taste, then the good news is that there are many microwave ramen recipes that improve the flavor of these basic noodles.
Check out the microwave ramen recipes below!
Microwave ramen recipes
Sure, you can cook the noodles and just add the seasoning packets. Yes, the ramen will taste good but it’s kind of a generic taste.
Here are some ways to improve basic ramen and turn it into a restaurant-worthy dish.
Mixed vegetable ramen in a mug
- 1 package ramen noodles Nongshim ramen is a great choice
- 1 cup vegetable stock you can use chicken, beef, or seafood stock too
- 2 tbsp frozen broccoli peas, and carrots
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp chili sauce or paste
- 1 spring onion sliced
- Break up the noodles into smaller bits. Place them in the mug.
- Add all the other ingredients (liquids and solids).
- Microwave for about 2 to 3 minutes. It depends on your microwave but it might take a minute longer. Check after 2.5 minutes.
Ramen with hard-boiled egg recipe
This is the ultimate microwave recipe for ramen and egg lovers. It’s so easy to make you’ll forget all about takeout.
It’s the kind of hearty meal that fills you up but is also very delicious. Best of all, there’s no stovetop cooking needed as we’re making the egg in the microwave too.
Simply grab two eggs and a pack of noodles, and collect some of your favorite vegetables, like edamame beans, shredded carrots, and some chopped spring onion.
First, it’s time to boil the eggs. As I explained above, you do this easily by placing the eggs in a microwave-safe container and covering them with warm water.
Add a teaspoon of salt into the water and cook in the microwave for about 6 or 7 minutes for a firm egg. Let the eggs sit in hot water while you cook the noodles to make them hard-boiled.
Then place the chicken stock and water into a microwave-safe bowl, and break up the noodles and add them to the liquid. Cook the noodles in the broth for about 3 minutes.
Take the bowl out and add the vegetables as well as the soy sauce and ginger paste. Cook for another 3 minutes. Now peel the eggs, cut them into halves and add on top of the ramen to serve. Enjoy!
For more inspiration on how to upgrade your instant ramen, check these 9 best ramen toppings to order or use when making ramen at home
As you’ve seen it’s very easy to make ramen in the microwave.
You can experiment with all of your favorite ingredients. Just be sure to cook meat prior to adding it to microwave ramen and never cook it in the microwave along with the broth and noodles.
Once you get the hang of easy microwave ramen meals, you’ll be so pleased with yourself for being able to cook meals in minutes!
Every month new cooking tips in your email?
Japanese recipes, cooking tips and more with the first email our FREE mini-recipe guide "Japanese with ease"