Pancit Molo is also referred to as “dumpling soup”. This Pancit Molo recipe is definitely a Chinese influence since the Chinese traders introduced a lot of Chinese dishes to the Filipinos.
This Chinese wonton soup is originally from Molo town, an old Chinese town in the Province of Iloilo.
Like all soups, the main foundation of this Pancit Molo soup recipe is a good stock. The ideal stock for this is chicken stock. The chicken stock can be made by boiling chicken bones.
The best part of the chicken for making chicken stocks are chicken thigh and legs and the backbone and ribs of the chicken. Chinese-Filipinos or Chinoys as they are fondly called, adds pork ribs to enrich the flavor of the broth.
The chicken meat that has been boiled could be shredded and can be used in making sandwiches or salads.
In this post we'll cover:
Pancit Molo Recipe and Preparation Tips
The ground pork that is used as a filling for the dumplings must be at 80 percent lean meat and 20 percent fat. The fat content of the meat helps lock in the moisture.
As extenders chopped water chestnuts or turnips (singkamas) is added into the pork filling.
Chopped garlic chives or spring onions are added for garnish and added flavor for the pancit molo.
The size of the dumpling or wonton wrapper is about 7 by 8 centimeters or 2.5 by 3 inches in size. The wonton wrappers are also called molo wrappers.
The uncooked dumplings and chicken broth can be kept in the freezer for future use. Fried sliced garlic can also be used as a garnish and is best served hot.
Pancit molo recipe (Molo Soup)
- 250 g ground pork
- 250 g shrimps chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 package Wonton Wrappers
- 25g chives chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients (molo soup)
- 1 chicken breast boiled and flaked
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch spring onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- fish sauce
- fried garlic
- Leftover Wonton Wrappers
- Sesame oil
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients except for the molo wrapper.
- Put some filling on the middle of the molo wrapper then fold and pinch and close the sides to seal. (here is a good guide from my blogger friend Nami at Just One Cookbook)
- Set aside.
method (molo soup)
- In a pot heat oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add chicken then stir fry for a bit.
- Pour in the broth, and then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add the prepared wontons.
- Simmer for 3 minutes then add the leftover wonton wrappers then simmer for additional 2 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper
- Top with spring onions, fried garlic, and drizzle with sesame oil.
Make sure not to overcook the pork dumplings since they would burst out from the wonton wrappers.
Some versions of this pancit molo recipe by adding sotanghon noodles. You can also pair this with toasted garlic bread.
Every month new cooking tips in your email?
Japanese recipes, cooking tips and more with the first email our FREE mini-recipe guide "Japanese with ease"