The oiliness of the beef, the sweetness, and sourness of the tomato sauce, the extension that the potatoes and carrot provide added with the contrasting taste of the red and green bell peppers make this beef mechado recipe turn into scrumptious viand for lunch and dinner meals.
This beef mechado recipe has beef as its main ingredient. What makes this dish tasty is because of the fat coming from the beef.
Beef actually has the highest amount of fat in its meat, and while it is cooking, the fat actually melts and cover the dish with that decadent taste.
Also, it has the usual ingredients for tomato-based dishes such as carrots, potatoes, and tomato sauce.
Other ingredients include bell pepper which gives the dish its distinct crunch, garlic, onion, lemon, bay leaves, and soy sauce.
In this post we'll cover:
Beef Mechado Recipe and Preparation Tips
This beef mechado recipe is similar to other Filipino tomato-based dishes as well.
Saute onion and garlic into the pan, then add the beef and saute once more until the beef’s color turns brownish. Add the tomato sauce into the pan and the salt and pepper.
Depending on how thick you want the mechado to be, add more tomato sauce to taste. If you want it to be on the brothy side, then you may add water.
Since mechado is a slow-cooker meal, simmer the mechado for two hours or until the beef is already tender.
After two hours, pour in the soy sauce, salt and pepper, lemon juice and bay leaves.
Lastly, put the potatoes and carrots and simmer the mechado once more until the vegetables are tender.
Filipino beef mechado recipe
- 1 kg beef cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 potatoes cut into quarters
- 1 carrot cut into cubes
- 2 tsp lemon juice or calamansi juice
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves or laurel leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups water
- cooking oil
- When buying the beef, choose the meat with a little tendon. Cut the beef into bite size pieces.
- On a heavy skillet, heat oil and stir fry the beef for a few minutes until it turns light brown. Set aside.
- On the skillet where you fry the beef, remove excess oil and retain at least 1 tablespoon.
- Saute garlic and onion until cooked and add the water, lemon juice or calamansi juice, soy sauce, pepper, tomato sauce, laurel leaves, salt and the beef.
- Simmer in low fire until the meat is tender. Then add the potatoes and carrots.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the potatoes and carrots are cooked.
In this recipe I would recommend getting a good beef for stir-frying:
[lasso ref=”hamilton-meats-beef-for-stir-fry” id=”8781″ link_id=”62367″]
[lasso ref=”gel-spice-turkish-bay-leaves” id=”7212″ link_id=”62368″]
[lasso ref=”classic-kikkoman-soy-sauce-in-dispenser” id=”6139″ link_id=”62369″]
Serve on a large plate and enjoy it. This Beef Mechado Recipe is best partnered with rice and is possible to be a dish to be served in celebrations and parties.
More beef? Check out this Filipino Beef Salpicao Recipe