Raise your hand if you ever wanted to try those grilled Japanese dishes that are made right in front of you on a grill and serve with mouthwatering flavoured sauce.
Now we don’t have to go all the way to Japan or find a Japanese steakhouse to eat these dishes but, you can do these dishes all by yourself at the comfort of your home.
Let’s get you started
In order to complete these teppanyaki dishes, you will need 2 things.
The first thing is a good grill to make the dishes on and the second thing is the sauce. Here are suggestions and recipes for making that delicious dish that’ll make you say, “arigato’ to yourself.
Teppanyaki twist of Soy Sauce
- Cooking pot
- 1 bottle soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 white onion sliced
- 2 clove garlic or any amount you prefer
- 1/4 lemon sliced
- Boil the sliced onion and soy sauce in water in a pot.
- After everything has been boiled, add the garlic in the mixture.
- Then store the whole thing inside a bowl and let it stay like that for about a week. After
everything settles down, strain to remove any uneven lumps and the pieces of onion from the sauce and add a dash of lemon juice.
Hot and spicy teppanyaki sauce
This adds a twist of flavor to your soy sauce which you can use to spice up your dishes.
You can even add some red peppers while cooking the soy sauce and onion to give it a bit of a kick and make it a hot and spicy teppanyaki sauce.
Take a look at our buying guide for all the tools you will ever need to make these delicious meals yourself at home
Like the classic peanut butter and jelly combo, grilled teppanyaki style fish and ponzu sauce are a deadly combo.
Bound to make seafood lovers’ mouth drool with its taste, here are the ingredients that you will need to make it into that super combo.
- Vinegar 16 oz
- Ponzu 16 oz
- Water 16 oz
- Soy sauce 32 oz
- Sugar 4 tablespoon
- Orange juice 1 packet
Just mix everything mentioned in the ingredients, yes it is that simple. However, for some more info you always check out sushi.com.
We’ve also got a great ketogenic option to try out if you’re into that diet thing.
Now let’s move on the tools section of this dish. A good grill is something that is mandatory for making great dishes in this style. The following are some recommendations-
1. Andrew James Electric Teppanyaki Barbecue Table Grill, 2000W
This grill is definitely worth mentioning. It supplies you with 2000W of power and also comes with extra wooden spatulas, which allows everyone to prepare their own meal.
It also has a non-sticky feature that allow you to cook the dish while using minimum oil. So not only will it allow you to prepare food with your friends, but will also allow you pursue a healthier eating habit.
The grill has an adjustable thermostat with six settings that will select the correct temperature that will allow you to cook the food in just the way you want it.
2. Tower Cerastone Teppanyaki Grill with Adjustable Thermostat and Non Stick Ceramic Coat, 46 cm
The grill adds creativeness with spices and flavors. It has a large cooking space, 46 cm is the exact measurement, also comes with the adjustable thermostat, the non-sticky feature and can be used for multiple cooking purposes.
Cleaning the grill is quite easy, so you can spend more time on eating the grilled food.The non-sticky coat is what makes this process possible.
The main feature with this grill, is that there is no need for oil, thus you will eat your favorite meal quite healthily and free of bad fat .
The touch handles allow you to move the grill without burning your hand. It will also last quite a long time since it’s made of aluminium.
Also read: is Hoisin sauce the same as Teriyaki?
Things to consider when buying a Teppanyaki grill:
These are some factors that you will need to take into consideration before buying a teppanyaki grill.
- Size: Choosing the right size grill is quite important. Go for a grill that goes with the quantity of ingredients and the serving size that you will be preparing or have planned to prepare. Do not buy a enormous one when the only thing you will use it for is to make grill for your family.
- Cleaning: Cooking and eating what you made is always fun. However, the difficult task comes afterwards. This task consists of removing the remnants left on the grill after cooking up a badass dish. Choose a Teppanyaki grill that is not only easy to clean but is easy enough to store.
- Temperature control: Being able to control the temperature while cooking is must. Thus, buying a grill that allows you to cook at your own temperature specifications is what you need.
- High heat: Grilling and making BBQ require the outer layer to be brown while the inner meat to be well cooked. Even on shallow steaks, the grill still has to be quite hot. If this is your favourite cooking style, then charcoal grills are going to be your best friend since the source of heat is exactly below the food getting cooked.
- Material durability: The best grills are made from materials like cast iron, powder coated steel, cast aluminum, premium stainless steel etc. Heavy steel performs impressively when it comes to distributing the heat properly. Cast irons however are prone to rusting. Painting with heat resistant paint is an option but, it will still chip off from the iron.
- Safety: For minimising accidents, the Teppanyaki grill has additional components built into it. The material surrounding the grill are highly tolerant to very high temperatures. I also comes with removable cords and this makes the process of transportation and cleaning easier. The handles and lids are also well insulated to prevent your skin from getting burnt.
These are some basic factors but you can also check out our top 5 teppanyaki grills for some more info.