Raise your hand if you ever wanted to try those grilled Japanese dishes that are made right in front of you on a grill and serve with mouthwatering flavored sauce.
Now we don’t have to go all the way to Japan or find a Japanese steakhouse to eat these dishes but, you can do these dishes all by yourself in the comfort of your home.
Let’s get you started.
In order to complete these teppanyaki dishes, you will need 2 things.
The first thing is a good grill to make the dishes on and the second thing is the sauce. Here are suggestions and recipes for making that delicious dish that’ll make you say, “arigato’ to yourself.
In this post we'll cover:
Teppanyaki twist of Soy Sauce
- Cooking pot
- 1 bottle soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 white onion sliced
- 2 clove garlic or any amount you prefer
- 1/4 lemon sliced
- Boil the sliced onion and soy sauce in water in a pot.
- After everything has been boiled, add the garlic in the mixture.
- Then store the whole thing inside a bowl and let it stay like that for about a week. After
everything settles down, strain to remove any uneven lumps and the pieces of onion from the sauce and add a dash of lemon juice.
When making a premium Japanese sauce like this, you should start with a good base ingredient, Japanese soy sauce:
Hot and spicy teppanyaki sauce
This adds a twist of flavor to your soy sauce which you can use to spice up your dishes.
If you want to make it a hot and spicy teppanyaki sauce, then just add some chili peppers to the pot while it is cooking to give it a bit of a kick.
Take a look at our buying guide for all the tools you will ever need to make these delicious meals yourself at home
Grilled fish on a teppanyaki plate needs some ponzu sauce, they are a deadly combo.
Bound to make seafood lovers’ mouth drool with its taste, you’ll need these ingredients to make the ponzu everyone knows and loves:
- Vinegar 16 oz
- Ponzu 16 oz
- Water 16 oz
- Soy sauce 32 oz
- Sugar 4 tablespoon
- Orange juice 1 packet
Just mix everything mentioned in the ingredients, yes it is that simple. However, for some more info you always check out sushi.com.
We’ve also got a great ketogenic option to try out if you’re into that diet thing.
Now let’s move on the tools section of this dish. A good grill is something that is mandatory for making great dishes in this style. The following are some recommendations-
1. Andrew James Electric Teppanyaki Barbecue Table Grill, 2000W
This grill is definitely worth mentioning. It supplies you with 2000W of power and also comes with extra wooden spatulas, which allows everyone to prepare their own meal.
It also has a non-stick feature that allows you to cook the dish while using minimum oil.
So not only will it allow you to prepare food with your friends, but it will also allow you to pursue a healthier eating habit.
The grill has an adjustable thermostat with six settings that will select the correct temperature that will allow you to cook the food in just the way you want it.
2. Tower Cerastone Teppanyaki Grill with Adjustable Thermostat and Non-Stick Ceramic Coat, 46 cm
The grill adds creativeness with spices and flavors. It has a large cooking space, 46 cm is the exact measurement, also comes with the adjustable thermostat, the non-stick feature and can be used for multiple cooking purposes.
Cleaning the grill is quite easy, so you can spend more time eating grilled food. The non-stick coating is what makes this process possible.
The main feature with this grill is that there is no need for oil, thus you will eat your favorite meal quite healthily and free of bad fat.
The touch handles allow you to move the grill without burning your hand. It will also last quite a long time since it’s made of aluminum.
Also read: is Hoisin sauce the same as Teriyaki?
Things to consider when buying a Teppanyaki grill:
These are some factors that you will need to take into consideration before buying a teppanyaki grill.
- Size: Choosing the right size grill is quite important. Go for a grill that goes with the number of ingredients and the serving size that you will be preparing or have planned to prepare. Do not buy an enormous one when the only thing you will use it is to grill for your family.
- Cleaning: Cooking and eating what you made is always fun. However, the difficult task comes afterward. This task consists of removing the remnants left on the grill after cooking up a badass dish. Choose a Teppanyaki grill that is not only easy to clean but is easy enough to store.
- Temperature control: Being able to control the temperature while cooking is a must. Thus, buying a grill that allows you to cook at your own temperature specifications is what you need.
- High heat: Grilling and making BBQ requires the outer layer to be brown while the inner meat to be well cooked. Even on shallow steaks, the grill still has to be quite hot. If this is your favorite cooking style, then charcoal grills are going to be your best friend since the source of heat is exactly below the food getting cooked.
- Material durability: The best grills are made from materials like cast iron, powder-coated steel, cast aluminum, premium stainless steel, etc. Heavy steel performs impressively when it comes to distributing the heat properly. Cast irons, however, are prone to rust. Painting with heat resistant paint is an option but, it will still chip off from the iron.
- Safety: For minimizing accidents, the Teppanyaki grill has additional components built into it. The material surrounding the grill is highly tolerant to very high temperatures. It also comes with removable cords and this makes the process of transportation and cleaning easier. The handles and lids are also well insulated to prevent your skin from getting burnt.
These are some basic factors but you can also check out our top 5 teppanyaki grills for some more info.