Tortang Giniling is a recipe that makes good use of simple but nutritious ingredients.
Tortang giniling or ginisang giniling as some Filipinos fondly call this dish is another Spanish-influenced meal.
In some old folklore stories, it’s said to have been made with all the left-over pig’s meat, mixed together and then finely minced in a meat grinder, but we’ll make our modern-day version with a good piece of pork of course.
In this post we'll cover:
Tortang Giniling Recipe Preparation
Red Tortang Giniling filipino beef omelette with egg & tomatoes
- 1 lb ground pork
- 5 eggs beaten
- 2 small red bell peppers diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro (wansoy) chopped
- 2 small red onions diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- banana ketchup for dipping
- Put some oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat.
- Add diced potatoes until golden brown in color.
- Add garlic & onions. Continue to fry until onion is cooked.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Add ground pork and cook until it’s golden brown.
- Add bell pepper and tomatoes and cook for one more minute.
- Add chopped cilantro (wansoy) and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer cooked meat mixture into the bowl with beaten eggs.
- Combine cooked meat and beaten eggs thoroughly.
- Scoop about 3 tablespoonfuls of the meat & egg mixture in the pan with lots of oil.
- You can cook 3 tortas at the same time (depending on how big your pan is).
- Fry each side of the torta until golden brown.
- Repeat process until you used up all your ingredients.
- Serve hot with ketchup and add some garlic fried rice to make it a traditional breakfast
The process of making this Tortang Giniling recipe is very simple. The first step is to purchase the freshest lean meat with just a little amount of fat on it.
If you have a food processor or meat grinder at home, let these gadgets do the work for you. If not, let the butcher grind the meat.
Also check out our delicious beef mechado recipe for more inspiration
You can also add a colorful array of vegetables to this dish. Tortang giniling or simply torta can include medium diced carrots and potatoes. It can also include green peas.
You can either use canned or frozen green peas. Some Tortang Giniling recipes add green bell pepper next to the red one to give it its color, but I like to make this reddish torta most.
This recipe also has tomatoes which give it a citric flavor and a red-orange hue.
There are also some chefs that add in California raisins and hard-boiled quail eggs in their recipes of Tortang Giniling.
The next step is to saute or stir-fry the minced garlic and chopped onions in vegetable oil then followed by the ground meat.
Brown the meat to make sure that it is thoroughly cooked. Ground meat is a common source of food-borne illnesses if it is not properly cooked.
The left-over torta can be made into an eggplant egg Omelets or eggplant omelets, also known as Tortang Talong.
Some Filipinos make use of Tortang Giniling as a savory filling for their Pandesal a local Pinoy bread mostly served during breakfast.
I hope you liked this recipe. Also check out my Pinoy ham & cheese omelet for more inspiration
Every month new cooking tips in your email?
Japanese recipes, cooking tips and more with the first email our FREE mini-recipe guide "Japanese with ease"