Tortang Giniling is a recipe that makes good use of simple but nutritious ingredients.
It has been written that torta giniling or ginisang giniling as what some Filipinos fondly call this dish is another Spanish influenced meal.
There are some old folklore stories tell that the left-over pork/pigs meat is mixed together and then finely minced in a food processor or meat grinder.
In this post we'll cover:
Tortang Giniling Recipe Preparation
The process of making this Tortang Giniling recipe is very simple. The first step is to purchase the freshest lean meat with just a little amount of fat in it.
If you have a food processor or meat grinder at home, let these gadgets do the work for you. If not, let the butcher grind the meat.
There are also a colorful array of vegetables in this dish. Tortang giniling or simply torta includes medium diced carrots and potatoes. It also has green peas.
You can either use canned or
There are also some cooks that add in California raisins and hard-boiled
Tortang Giniling Recipe
- 1 lb ground pork
- 5 eggs beaten
- 2 small red bell peppers diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro (wansoy) chopped
- 2 small red onions diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- banana ketchup for dipping
- Put oil on the non-stick frying pan over high heat.
- Add diced potatoes until golden brown in color.
- Add garlic & onions. Continue to fry until onion is cooked.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Add ground pork and cook until it’s golden brown.
- Add bell pepper and cook for one more minute.
- Add chopped cilantro (wansoy) and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer cooked meat mixture into the bowl with beaten eggs.
- Combine cooked meat and beaten eggs thoroughly.
- Scoop about 3 tablespoonfuls of the meat & egg mixture in the pan.
- You can cook 3 tortas at the same time (depending on how big your pan is).
- Fry each side of the torta until golden brown.
- Repeat process until you used up all your ingredients.
- Serve hot with ketchup.
This is my favorite brand of
[lasso ref=”baron-banana-ketchup” id=”7575″ link_id=”62550″]
The next step is to saute or stir-fry the minced garlic and chopped onions in vegetable oil then followed by the ground meat.
Brown the meat to make sure that it is thoroughly cooked. Ground meat is a common source of food-borne illnesses if they are not properly cooked.
This recipe also has tomato sauce or tomato paste which gives it a citric flavor and a red-orange hue.
The left-over torta can be made into Egg Omelets or eggplant omelet, also known as Tortang Talong.
Some Filipinos make use of Tortang Giniling as a savory filling for their Pandesal a local Pinoy bread mostly served during breakfast.