Chicken Afritada Recipe is one of those Filipino recipes which are doused in tomato sauce.
With Filipino’s penchant for anything tasty, meaty but still healthy, Chicken Afritada is sure to be a perennial favorite.
Though commonly seen in the usual everyday Filipino meals, Chicken Afritada can also be cooked to serve more people in celebrations and parties.
Made with tomato sauce, peas, hotdog, carrots, potatoes, and bell peppers, it is always one of the tastier viands in celebrations that people actually line up to it.
In this post we'll cover:
Chicken Afritada Recipe Alternative Method
- We start off with following this chicken afritada recipe by sauteeing onion and garlic, next comes the chicken and let it cook in the pan for five minutes.
- Add then the tomato sauce and the
bay leaves. In here, you can add more tomato sauce as per your liking.
- You also have a choice to add water with chicken cubes or chicken stock. Let this simmer until the chicken is soft.
- Then add in the vegetables – the diced potatoes, carrots, and peas and let it simmer until the vegetables are soft.
- Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Lastly, put in the bell peppers into the mix just before turning off the stove and let the remaining heat of the stove cook the bell peppers.
Chicken afritada recipe
- 2 lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 large potato cubed
- 1 carrot cubed
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- Marinate chicken pieces in soy sauce and lemon juice for half an hour. Drain chicken from the marinade.
- In a heavy pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic, onions, and tomatoes for 2 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add chicken pieces and saute for a few minutes until meat is nicely browned and no longer pink.
- Add fish sauce, stir and then add tomato sauce and water. Let the mixture boil and then reduce heat, cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, pepper, and potatoes; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Chicken Afritada, due to its tasty and decadent tomato sauce, is perfect with steamed rice to balance out the taste.
If you still aren’t convinced with how tasty Filipino tomato-based dishes are, then try this Chicken Afritada Recipe and decide otherwise.