How To Flavor Instant Ramen Without The Packet? Less Sodium!
Instant ramen is a real treat that’s pretty easy to make, even without its accompanying flavor packet, so don’t worry!
Here are a few ideas to help you make the bowl of instant ramen best suited to your tastes.
Excited? Let’s chow down!
In this post we'll cover:
How to make ramen without the seasoning packet
Instant ramen without the packet and less sodium
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 sliced ginger (julienned; to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 17 oz water
- 1 package instant ramen noodles
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. While waiting for it to boil, prepare the ginger and spring onion by slicing them carefully. Make sure to set aside the green part of the spring onion for garnishing.
- Add the ginger and the white part of the spring onion to the boiling water. After a minute, add the ramen noodles to the pan.
- Give the noodles a few minutes to soften.
- When the noodles start breaking away from each other, add the salt, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
- Allow the ingredients to simmer for 4-6 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Garnish the noodles with the green spring onion and serve while hot.
As you can see, if you are fond of light and clean tastes, this is an excellent way to make instant ramen without the packet!
If you’re looking for a way to make instant noodles without MSG, then check out this video by Chinese Recipes For All:
Instant ramen with stir-fried veggies
Give your instant ramen a major transformation, even without using the flavor packet that comes with it. By stir-frying some vegetables in your fridge, you can seriously ramp up the flavor profile of your bowl of instant ramen.
List of ingredients to use
- 1 teaspoon cornflour/starch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3 drops of sesame oil
- 1 scallion (for garnish)
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 packet of ramen noodles (and 400ml water for boiling)
For the stir fry:
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- Half a carrot
- 2-3 mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- A handful of bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- Mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, cornflour, sugar, and water. Make sure that there are no lumps in the resulting sauce.
- Boil the ramen noodles as per the instructions on the packet and then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the garlic for about 20 seconds, keeping the heat high, until the garlic turns lightly golden.
- Add the prepared mushrooms and carrots, stir-frying for half a minute, then add the cabbage. Stir-fry for a minute, and then add the sauce made in the previous steps.
- Mix the sauce and the vegetables well, and then add the bean sprouts.
- Place the ramen noodles in a bowl, and add the stir-fry sauce and vegetables. Garnish with sliced scallions to jazz up the experience!
Remember, when it comes to instant ramen noodles, just have fun!
And if you want to make this a bit more diet-friendly, check out how to make a keto stir-fry sauce from scratch here
Using bouillon cubes
If you need to make instant ramen in a pinch and you don’t have ramen flavor packets, not to worry. You don’t have to eat it plain!
Instead, if you have bouillon cubes in the pantry, just get one out, boil some water, and mix it. Then, cook the ramen noodles and add to the bouillon water. Voila, you’ve got a quick meal!
Eat instant ramen even without the ramen flavor packets
For those wondering how to make instant ramen without the packet, the answer isn’t as complicated as you may think. Instant ramen gives room for experimentation and allows you to explore what you like and don’t.
To make the perfect bowl of ramen, you just need to look inside yourself and explore the tastes you like to find the ideal flavor profile for your taste buds.
Hope this helps!
Joost Nusselder, the founder of Bite My Bun is a content marketer, dad and loves trying out new food with Japanese food at the heart of his passion, and together with his team he's been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with recipes and cooking tips.