Copper cookware is known for being high quality and providing excellent heat distribution.
But it is not without its share of problems. The main issue with copper cookware is that it scratches easily.
A tin lining can protect the copper to keep it from scratching and it is easily replaceable.
My go-to pan is this Bottega del Rame Frying pan because it’s just so versatile and because of the high edges you can use it for many dishes.
It’s just such an iconic brand, look at the authentic process here:
Of course, there are thin-lined copper pans for other uses as well and I’ll get into those too.
Read on to find out more about the benefits of tin-lined cookware and how you can find the products that are best suited for your kitchen.
Let’s look at the top choices real quick, then I’ll get more into the benefits and in-depth reviews of each of these:
|Best Tin Lined Copper Frying Pan: Bottega del Rame Copper Frying Pan|
|Best Tin Lined Copper Saucepan: Kuprum Hand Hammered Saucepan 1.2 Quarts|
|Best Tin Lined Copper Casserole Dish: Bottega del Rame 3 1/4 Quarts|
|Best Tin Lined Copper Stockpot: Mauviel M-Heritage M150|
|Best Copper 4 Qt. Pot: Kuprum Hand Hammered|
|Best Tin Lined Copper Mold: Matfeur Bourgeat Cannele|
|Best Tin Lined Copper Wok: Kuprum 11”|
In this post we'll cover:
- 1 Benefits of Tin-Lined Copper Cookware
- 2 What to Look for in Tin Lined Copper Cookware
- 3 Best Tin Lined Copper Cookware
- 3.1 Best Tin Lined Copper Frying Pan: Bottega del Rame Copper Frying Pan
- 3.2 Best Tin Lined Copper Saucepan: Kuprum Hand Hammered Saucepan 1.2 Quarts
- 3.3 Best Tin Lined Copper Casserole Dish: Bottega del Rame 3 1/4 Quarts
- 3.4 Best Tin Lined Copper Stockpot: Mauviel M-Heritage M150
- 3.5 Best Copper 4 Qt. Pot: Kuprum Hand Hammered
- 3.6 Best Tin Lined Copper Mold: Matfeur Bourgeat Cannele
- 3.7 Best Tin Lined Copper Wok: Kuprum 11”
- 4 Conclusion
Benefits of Tin-Lined Copper Cookware
One of the biggest issues people have with copper cookware is that the body can become burnt or badly scratched.
This type of damage will affect the copper’s properties so it will not cook food as well as it once did. In some cases, the cookware will be totally useless and you may just decide to throw it out.
A tin lining will protect the copper from burning or scratching. If the tin lining becomes damaged, it can easily be replaced.
Although stainless steel can also be used to protect copper, it will affect its quick heating and distribution properties. Therefore, tin is a better option.
In time, the tin may start showing some signs of discoloration and it may start to darken.
However, this is nothing to worry about.
The only time you need to worry is if the tin starts to wear down to the point that it is almost see-through. And this usually won’t happen until the pan is very old.
In any case, you should never try to scrub away discolorations and it is always best to avoid using a coarse surface on tin. It will clean up well with a soft, soapy sponge.
Ceramic also keeps your copper cookware from scratching. Find a review of the 6 Best Copper Ceramic Pans here.
What to Look for in Tin Lined Copper Cookware
When it comes to what to look for in tin-lined copper cookware, it really is no different than what to look for in any other type of copper cookware.
Here are some things you will want to keep in mind.
- Thickness: Your copper cookware should be thick enough so that it doesn’t warp. Aim for a thickness of 2.5 to 3 mm.
- Weight: When it comes to weight, it can be hard to find the perfect balance. You don’t want anything that’s going to weigh you down while you’re cooking, but if the cookware is too light, it may be a sign of low quality. Shop around to find a weight that works for you.
- Handles: The handles should have a sturdy construction and an ergonomic design that makes them comfortable to use. Some handles also have a stay cool feature which keep burns to a minimum.
- Compatible with a Variety of Heating Units: Some cookware will work well in certain heating units and some will not. Some may be oven safe while others are not. Make sure the cookware you are buying is compatible with the units you want to use it on. Cooking on induction? Find the best cookware for induction here.
- Dishwasher Safe: If you can’t stand to handwash dishes, make sure the cookware you are buying is dishwasher safe.
- Finish: This will come into play in the aesthetic of the cookware only. There are a variety of finishes you can choose from that include hammered looks, high shine and matte. If you are picky about how your cookware looks, take this into consideration when making your selection.
Best Tin Lined Copper Cookware
Now that you know more about tin lined copper cookware, here are some pots and pans that are recommended for kitchens everywhere.
Best Tin Lined Copper Frying Pan: Bottega del Rame Copper Frying Pan
This pan is 100% handmade and has a thickness of 2.5 mm. The inside is 100% pure tin.
It has well secured long sand-cast brass handles.
It comes in a variety of styles ranging from 7” to 13” in the upper diameter.
It provides excellent heat distribution and heats food quickly. It has an attractive hammered exterior.
- Quality construction
- Excellent heat distribution
- Comes in a variety of sizes
- Good thickness
- High-quality materials
- One customer said the pan sticks and is difficult to clean.
See more great copper frying pans here: Best Copper Frying Pans Reviewed
Best Tin Lined Copper Saucepan: Kuprum Hand Hammered Saucepan 1.2 Quarts
This elegant saucepan has an elegant hammered exterior.
It is made of high-quality copper and it heats quickly and evenly. It has non-reactive tin lining that won’t affect food’s flavor.
It has a riveted handle and does not come with a lid. It is great for boiling creams, sauces, liquids and eggs.
It was handcrafted by artisans in the Mediterranean. It is 100% recyclable and comes with a lifetime guaranty.
- Great hammered look
- 100% recyclable
- Tin lining won’t affect food’s flavor
- Lifetime warranty
- Riveted handles
- Good size
- Suitable for a variety of uses
- Sticks to surface and coating comes off of the pan
Best Tin Lined Copper Casserole Dish: Bottega del Rame 3 1/4 Quarts
This beautiful copper pan is handcrafted with pure native copper foil that is 2 mm thick.
It is plated with 100% pure tin. The brass handles are well secured with copper rivets.
It comes with a lid. It is available in four different sizes ranging from 3 ¼ quarts to 18 quarts.
- Durable construction
- Made of high-quality materials
- Comes in a variety of sizes
- Well secured handles
- Lid included
- Pan is a little thin
Best Tin Lined Copper Stockpot: Mauviel M-Heritage M150
Also known as a cooking pot, a stockpot is great for heating any type of food.
This Mauviel M’Heritage stockpot is made in France and features superior construction. It is guaranteed for life against manufacturing defects.
The copper heats evenly and provides superior temperature control. The tin interior will not affect food taste or nutritional quality.
It comes with a lid that is lined with stainless steel that also will not affect food quality.
The cast stainless steel handles stay cool during use and have an attractive iron finish.
It is safe to use in all types of heating units including induction ovens.
- Lifetime guarantee against defects
- Tin lining will not affect food quality of taste
- Stay cook durable handles
- Works in a variety of ovens
- Provides even heat distribution
- Comes with a lid
- There were no negative comments to be found about this item
Best Copper 4 Qt. Pot: Kuprum Hand Hammered
This elegant pot was hand hammered and is made of high-quality copper.
It heats quickly and evenly. It has a non-reactive tin lining that will not affect the taste or quality of the food.
It has two riveted handles that make for easy carrying. It has a handled lid that is effective in holding in heat.
It is great for heating stews, soups and chilies.
It was hand crafted by artisans in the Mediterranean region. It is 100% recyclable and has a limited lifetime warranty.
- Elegant, hammered look
- High quality copper
- Heats quickly and evenly
- Non-reactive tin lining
- Riveted handles
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Lining bubbles and comes off after use
Best Tin Lined Copper Mold: Matfeur Bourgeat Cannele
This mold is specially designed for a special cake from the Bordeaux region of France called “Canelle de Bordeaux”.
It features high quality copper lined with tin.
It is 2×2” in diameter and about 1” high. It also comes in 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 “ and 1 3/8 x 1 3/8” diameters. It has an attractive fluted design.
- Comes in a variety of sizes
- Cake comes out nicely
- Good weight and size
- Expensive: Most people say it does the same job as brands that are not nearly as expensive.
Best Tin Lined Copper Wok: Kuprum 11”
A wok is great for stir frying meats and vegetables.
This elegant wok is 11” in diameter and it features an attractive hammered finish.
It provides rapid heating and excellent heat distribution and it cools down quickly making for optimal temperature control and energy efficiency.
It is nonreactive and will not add any additional taste to food.
Its curved sides and rounded base make for a wide cooking surface.
It is hand crafted by artisans in the Mediterranean region. It’s 100% recyclable and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Provides good heat distribution
- Good surface for cooking
- Hand crafted
- Energy efficient
- Non-reactive with food
- Surface starts to bubble after use.
Tin lined copper cookware is an asset to any kitchen.
Which of these products will you be using on your next culinary adventure?
Every month new cooking tips in your email?
Japanese recipes, cooking tips and more with the first email our FREE mini-recipe guide "Japanese with ease"
Before you start using copper cookware, you need to season it. Here is the ultimate guide to seasoning copper pans.