Maybe you are wondering what Hibachi is. This is a Japanese cooking style, where skilled chefs prepare food over a hot open grill.
Every Hibachi restaurant has adopted this cooking method, and the chefs have turned it to an impressive culinary experience for the diners.
The foods prepared at these restaurants range from meats, like beef, fish, chicken, pork, shrimp, and pork to veggies, and rice, well as noodles.
These meals are prepared depending on the order, and they are customized, depending on the desires of the diner. Hibachi cooking combines Japanese BBQ with Japanese dressings and spices.
The dinners usually site around a Hibachi grill, where a skilled Hibachi chef entertains them with different grilling skills. However, this all cannot happen without one tool—a knife. Every Hibachi chef requires a knife in order to cut through the meats as well as other ingredients required in this cooking technique.
In this post we'll cover:
- 1 Which knives do Hibachi chefs use?
- 2 Best carbon Hibachi knife: AUGYMER 8 Inch Professional Carbon
- 3 Best budget: Imarku Pro Kitchen 8 Inch Chef’s Knife
- 4 Bottom Line
Which knives do Hibachi chefs use?
However, one important question is, what is the best type that Hibachi chefs use?
In this article, we shall highlight some of the best knives that Hibachi chefs can use to prepare their meals.
Best overall for Hibachi: Shun Classic 8” Chef’s Knife
At first, the Shun Classic 8” Chef’s Knife might appear to be costly. However, its price is a bit higher because of several reasons. First, the knife’s blade is made out of high-quality VG-10 stainless steel, with 32 layers. This might sound unreal, but it is true—this knife has 32 layers of steel in one blade.
The surface of its steel is a bit texture, which means you can slice through any surface. In addition, the knife has some fanciness, and it’s easy to clean since it’s dishwasher safe.
What do you do when the knife gets dull?
The Shun Classic 8” Chef’s Knife comes with a lifetime sharpening and replacement warranty. This means you can send your knife to be sharpened or replaced in case something happens to it—and there is no limit for this.
Even though this knife might look like a major investment, you can do anything you want with the knife, and it will last for a long period of time.
Burrfection has a great review video of it right here:
- The manufacturer uses the VG-MAX steel formula, which gives the knife a sharper edge, extra carbon and cobalt for durability and strength, as well as additional chromium to assists in corrosion resistance.
- The knife has an ebony PakkaWood handle. The knife’s handle is made out of hardwood, which is infused with resin for more durability and well as water resistance. In addition, the handle is easy to clean and strong for everyday use.
- For better and proper slicing, push your knife forward and downwards as you cut through your food and then pull it back and up. Repeat this process in a repetitive motion, as this will give you smooth cuts.
- This is a staple kitchen knife for any hibachi chef, and it can give you excellent cuts.
It’s a really great knife, I recommend you take a look at it here on Amazon where there are almost 500 customer reviews.
Looking for a specific Sashimi knife? Check out these top Takohiki knife brands in my post
Best for Hibachi vegetables: DALSTRONG Nakiri Asian Vegetable Knife – Gladiator Series
Not unless you chop your veggies with a flat-bladed steel knife, it’s hard to notice that things you have been missing. The DALSTRONG Nakiri Asian Vegetable Knife – Gladiator Series is not only made out of high-carbon steel, but it is also designed to lie even against your chopping board.
This gives you an extra blade surface, which gives you the opportunity to cut faster and reduces your preparation time.
If you’re planning on adding a lot of vegetables to your Hibachi grilling, than you’ll need a dedicated vegetable knife, and you can’t go wrong with the Dalstrong Nakiri.
Besides, the knife is tapered, which increases its slicing efficiency. Also, the additional height on its blade allows you to slice almost anything, from large and hard veggies to the soft ones.
Jpm.cuisine has a nice test for the knife after several months of use:
- The DALSTRONG Nakiri Asian Vegetable Knife – Gladiator Series has remarkable craftsmanship, amazing design elements, cutting-edge technology, as well as premium materials.
- The knife is amazingly razor-sharp, and its high-carbon steel blade is hand polished and sharpened to give it a 14 to 16 cutting edge on each side. In addition, this knife is stain resistant and precisely tempered.
- Another notable feature is its award-winning design, which has a satisfying heft, quality, and premium materials, as well as a quality fee. Its triple-riveted pakkawood handle gives you a firm grip, for increased comfort and easy maneuverability. In addition, the handle is polished and laminated for sanitary purposes, which makes it ideal for a busy kitchen. The design of the knife makes it easier to slice and dice fruits, vegetables, boneless meat, as well as fish.
- This knife has been designed and engineered to perfection, and it is hand-polished to give it a satin finish. Furthermore, the knife has been tapered for extra hardness, improved flexibility, as well as reduced slicing resistance. Its tall blade height will give you a safe and vital knuckle clearance.
- This is a risk-free knife, and that’s the reason why most hibachi chefs love it.
You can get this one from the Gladiator series here a lot cheaper than the Shogun Series, which has a hammered surface:
Best carbon Hibachi knife: AUGYMER 8 Inch Professional Carbon
When it comes to hibachi grilling, nothing stands out like the Chef Knife, AUGYMER 8 Inch Professional Japanese High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife. This is a knife that comes in handy, especially someone who loves grilling and handles knives on a daily basis.
Here are some notable features:
- High-quality Japanese knife – the AUGYMER 8 Inch Professional Chefs Knife is made out of high carbon stainless steel. The knife is popular because of its high degree of sharpness, as well as amazing anti-rust ability. Its cutting core is at 56 – 58 Rockwell hardness, which means that the knife is very hard to break.
- Multi-functional and anti-corrosion – this knife is made out of a stainless steel material, which contains a certain percentage of chromium, which improves the sharpness of the knife and its ability to resist rust. You just need to give the knife a simple wife and give it a brand new and bright purpose.
- In addition, this is a multifunctional knife, which is designed for different purposes, like cutting meat, fish, as well as vegetables. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about using different knives to cut different foodstuffs.
- Ergonomic handle – one important thing about this knife is its ergonomic handle, which is made out of high-quality wood. This means you will always have a good grip while handling this knife, and you will never get a bruised wrist after handling this knife for a long period of time. The knife becomes ideal for people who work in the kitchen or cook frequently.
- Perfect gift – this can be the best gift for your father, mother or friend. Since it comes with a scabbard, it means that the knife cannot harm your family, particularly children.
- Unlimited warranty – well, this is the most interesting part of this knife. It comes with an unlimited warranty. In addition, you will have a 90-day no reason to replace or refund policy. This knife will definitely give you good value for your money!
It’s a great value for money and I can’t believe how cheap you can get it here on Amazon
You also might want to get one of these top Hibachi forks I’ve reviewed in my post here
Best budget: Imarku Pro Kitchen 8 Inch Chef’s Knife
This is considered to be one of the best Japanese hibachi knives when on a budget. The Imarku Pro Kitchen 8 Inch, Chef’s Knife, is made out of high-quality stainless steel, thus giving the hardness it needs.
- The blade is made out of high-carbon stainless steel, which assists in maintaining the functionality of the knife for a long period of time. In addition, it also helps in boosting the sturdiness of the knife. One notable thing about this knife is that it as a 0.6 to 0.75 carbon, which makes it more than 2 times stronger compared to other knives which contain around 0.3% carbon.
- Multi-functionality – the design of this knife makes it multi-functional, which means you can use it for different professional applications. The knife can chop, slice, dice, and even cut meats from bones. The knife has a Rockwell Hardness Scale of around 56 to 58, and this makes it one of the toughest knives in this class.
- Ergonomic handle – another notable feature about the Imarku Pro Kitchen 8 Inch Chef’s Knife is its ergonomic PakkaWood handle – the handle of this knife has been designed to reduce aches, fatigue, or finger numbness after handling the knife for an extended period of time. The material used to make the handle comes from Africa, and it’s popular because of its stability, strength, and comfort.
- Ultra-sharp-cutting edge – everyone knows that sharpness is vital, especially when it comes to getting the best cuts. Well, this is quite evident with this knife’s blade, which is very sharp, and it can remain this way even after performing tough tasks like cutting hard meat or de-boning.
- Anti-tarnish and anti-corroding blade – in addition to its carbon, the manufacturer has also included a 16% to 18% chrome into the metal composition of the blade. As a result, the knife gets a glossy finish, which doesn’t fade even after you use this knife for a long period.
These are some of the best knives that Hibachi chefs can use while grilling. You can also grab one of these knives in case you want to start this cooking style as they will get things easier for you. These knives can be found in different online stores, and they will definitely make your grilling experience completely different.
Every month new cooking tips in your email?
Japanese recipes, cooking tips and more with the first email our FREE mini-recipe guide "Japanese with ease"
Also check out my in depth post on the best Hibachi grills you can buy.